Scicon Atlas Compact bike bag

Philip S
Philip S Posts: 398
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a bike bag for use on planes, but am struggling to find any reviews of the Scicon Atlas Compact. It looks like it's a bit more "designed" and robust than your standard soft or lightly padded bike bag, but I can't find much info on it at all. Anyone got one of these? Is it worth the extra cash compared to a lower spec bag? I'd be looking to transport a carbon fibre bike in it...

Cheers
Philip

Comments

• Philip S
    Anyone?
  • benji90
    benji90 Posts: 114
    bump!
  • Philip S
    Hey benji90

As you can probably see, I didn't get much of a response; however, I did go for the Atlas Compact and found it pretty successful - dead easy to pack, felt much more secure than a soft bag, and was much easier to wheel it around the airport than it was to carry/wrestle a soft bag.

The only two issues I had with it were:
    1) I put my helmet in the bag as well, in the top-tube/down-tube/seat tube triangle, and getting it out at the other end found that it had some compression cracks on it - some bags must have been piled on top of the case, causing the helmet to be crushed between the two wheels. The bike and wheels were fine though. In future, I'll take the helmet as hand luggage.
    2) Getting to the other end, it was tricky to fit the bag into my mate's estate car boot. Eventually managed it with one of the rear seats down and a corner of the Atlas poking through that gap. This sort of issues is always going to be a problem for a hard shell bag, though. And at least the Atlas compact is not rectangular, so it is slightly more compact than a full hard shell.

All in all, quite happy, except for the fact that the addtional airline bike handling charges are making me less inclined to fly (ferry this year), which isn't helping me recoup the cost...
  • sefbro
    sefbro Posts: 1
    Hi Philip,
    I know it's been a while since your post, but I was hoping to get a bit of info on the Scicon Atlas Compact Bike Case. It seems you're still the only person to have done a review of the case in English. I was wondering how it turned out for you and if you got a lot of use from it. Do you still have it? Although its been discontinued (for a while, I think), there's still a few bumping around online for sale and it seems to be the travel case I'm most drawn to.
    Thanks!