Upgrade my GIANT ATX850 or Buy new?

rocketman76
rocketman76 Posts: 195
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi

I am a newbie here.

I used to do a minimal amount of cycling and have an old GIANT ATX 850 (bought approx 10-12years ago), still in good condition, just in need of a service. A few of us are looking to get back into it and do some of the runs around mid wales. So some off-road trekking, casualy to start with, but no doubt getting more into it as we go...

The bike in question has an aluminium frame, shimano gears and brakes (I think these were upgrades, I bought it off from a private bike shop off the owner).

It has no suspension and I am wondering whether I should look at getting new shox on the front, possibly disc brakes, or whether I shoud invest in a new bike altogether.

I have no idea how much good front suspension or disc brakes will set me back, but if I was buying new I'd probably have about £5-600 to spend.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    snap yourself up a new bike !

have a look at the 08 carrera furys or genisis core's always pop up around this price point :D
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    or my personal faves (im not biased, honesed :wink: ) The GT aggressors, for that price you could get a 1, or for a bit more the XCR. its not worth upgrading the old bike, bike thechnology has moved on so much, a modern begginer bike is prob as good as a pro bike 15 years ago. im not even sure if you would be able to put disks on your old bike...... anyway, thats what i would say, the before mentioned genasis and carrera are both very very good aswell.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    New bike every time. My Proflex 856 is 13 years old and has been lovingly rebuilt three times but it can't compare with a new bike. Dunno whether it's the materials or the geometry or what but new bikes are so much...better.
  • rocketman76
    rocketman76 Posts: 195
    Cheers guys for the responses.

Looks like it'll have to be a new bike then!

I took my old warhorse out the other day and it did admirably, but I couldn't help feel a little bone shook on my return.

I'll stick with it for a couple of months to make sure I am into the whole Mountain Biking scene and if so I'll be purchasing something new.

Once I get something I'll be sure to post a review and some pics.

Cheers again