Which current/former pro riders would make good commentator?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2009 in Pro race
I think Chris Horner would be amazing. Watch his interviews with Versus.tv (started last year at the TDF), he's incredibly articulate and really perceptive. He does an amazing job of breaking down all the action for each day. (And he's also funny) I was very impressed.

Comments

• Jens Voigt for me. Has been in the peloton forever and has one of the funniest personalities around.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    +1 for Jens Voigt. I can just imagine him castigating breakawya riders for not making enough effort or putting in big enough turns! :D
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    How about Sean Kelly? Nah, just kidding, that would be majorly ridiculous certaintly
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Lemond! :lol:

O'Grady
    Robbie McEwen
    Max Sciandri
    Davis Phinney - Love his interviews on the competitors
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Lemond! :lol:

Yep ! :D

Vaughters impressed me also whilst watching the highlights lastnight on ITV4 .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    How about anyone without a flippin accent!!!!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Harry Hill wrote:
    How about anyone without a flippin accent!!!!

Hate to break it to you, but there is no person in the entire world without an accent. Every word spoken is done so with an accent. :wink:
  • another +1 for Jens Voight.

How about Allan Peiper?
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    dan lloyd (cervelo) was quite good on eurosport early on in tour
  • AO1504
    AO1504 Posts: 57

How about Allan Peiper?

I'll second that one, used to love his wee "interviews" midrace on Channel 4.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Horner would be good in short bursts, but I'm not sure I could handle that level of enthusiasm for hours at a time. Same goes for Voigt.

Peiper was really good when he did the Giro di Lombardia with David Harmon a couple of years ago.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Bobby Julich would be good, I think. I'd love Voigt. I remember Magnus Backstedt wasn't bad, either.

The best I've heard is Cyrille Guimard on the French coverage. Only problem is he tells you the outcome 100km from the line. And he's right.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Robert Millar.

If they could find him.

The other Millar, Dave, would also be capable of intelligent, articulate and witty commentry.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I watched Tour of California on the Amgen ToC Tracker or whatever it was called, and Bobby Julich was a regular guest and the things he said were always very interesting, like a few minutes before entering a tunnel you close one of your eyes, so that you'll have your "night vision" by the time you enter the tunnel. So, +1 for Bobby.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Tusher wrote:
    Robert Millar.

If they could find him.

The other Millar, Dave, would also be capable of intelligent, articulate and witty commentry.

robert did a stint with duffield

he was rubbish as was yates

dave millar would be good
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If you'd asked this question in the 80s, the last answer you would have got would have been Sean Kelly.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • AO1504
    drenkrom wrote:
    I remember Magnus Backstedt wasn't bad, either.

Maggy is already an established commentator with Martin McCrossan, has done quite a bit on Cycling.tv and on Swedish Eurosport.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    RichN95 wrote:
    If you'd asked this question in the 80s, the last answer you would have got would have been Sean Kelly.

Back then King Kelly could actually only speak 1.5 words... "super" and another indecipherable word, maybe just a sound caused by scrunching up his lips and blowing... usually preceeded "super" :lol::lol::lol:

Since then he has picked up majorly, classement, certaintly, fookin, drillin, I, and one or two others :lol::lol::lol:

No disrepect to Sean... I think his commentry is the best :D
    www.dotcycling.com
  • csp
    AO1504 wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

Maggy is already an established commentator with Martin McCrossan, has done quite a bit on Cycling.tv and on Swedish Eurosport.

The first time I heard Backstedt speak on Eurosport I thought he was an Englishman.
  • AO1504
    csp wrote:
    AO1504 wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

The first time I heard Backstedt speak on Eurosport I thought he was an Englishman.

He has been living in Wales for quite a few years now.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Tom Steels would make a good commentator.

Oh wait, he already is a good commentator! 8)
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • RichN95.
    emadden wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Back then King Kelly could actually only speak 1.5 words... "super" and another indecipherable word, maybe just a sound caused by scrunching up his lips and blowing... usually preceeded "super" :lol::lol::lol:

Since then he has picked up majorly, classement, certaintly, fookin, drillin, I, and one or two others :lol::lol::lol:

No disrepect to Sean... I think his commentry is the best :D

You'd have been lucky to get that much out of him back then. He was famous for nodding in response to questions in a radio interview.
  • RichN95.

Indeed, just to the north west of Cardiff. He once passed me on one of my ambles about - he said hello, and I thought it was some poser in full Liquigas kit until the penny dropped.
  • Cadel Evans. Excellent speaking voice.
  • csp
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed, just to the north west of Cardiff. He once passed me on one of my ambles about - he said hello, and I thought it was some poser in full Liquigas kit until the penny dropped.

The same thing happened to me with Geoffroy Lequatre from Agritubel.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Cadel Evans. Excellent speaking voice.

+1. The Joe Pasquale of the peloton!

EDIT: Sorry kloftus, living in the US I realise you may not know who Joe Pasquale is.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    another vote for Allan Peiper - isn't he a DS now?

I can remember those mini-interviews, they were good
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • AO1504
    edhornby wrote:
    another vote for Allan Peiper - isn't he a DS now?

I can remember those mini-interviews, they were good

Yeah with Columbia HTC
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pedro Horrillo - the most articulate and perceptive current pro IMO. His columns in El Pais are truly excellent.