Why no Sky Sports coverage?

Gotte
Gotte Posts: 494
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Not even Sky 2 or 3, where, I see this afternoon they are covering Speedway and, ermm, Ocean Adventures.
At first I thought it might be a contractual thing, ITV4 having the rights, but then I remembered that it's a single feed from france to all those broadcasters, inc Eurosport, worldwide. I can only assume Sky don;t think it's that important, which is surprising, seeing as they're putting a team together.

Comments

• GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Er, because ITV have the rights to show the Tour in the UK?

Much the same way that there's a single feed from Grand Prix, but it doesn't mean anyone can show it.
  • ITV have the UK rights to the Tours of France, Britain and Ireland until 2013 I believe. So Sky ain't gonna be showing any of these races any time soon.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Leguape covered this recently. There is a fairly significant barrier to Sky carrying it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gotte
    Many thanks for that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Tour people (IIRC) state that the broadcast must be free to air...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It can't be on every bloody channel.

It's on Eurosport now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It can't be on every bloody channel.

How about every channel except one? Then all the women could still watch Jeremy Kyle! :shock:
  • Gotte
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The Tour people (IIRC) state that the broadcast must be free to air...

So does that mean Sky will never have it?
  • Anonymous
    Possibly, not sure where I heard it and can't find anything on the web. It was during a broadcast last year I think...

I may have dreamt it whilst asleep during today's stage.
  • Gotte
    I dream things all the time and think they're real.
    I once dreampt that the woman who played emily Bishop was really a man who'd had a sex change. I kid you not. I was telling everyone that I'd read it somewhere, till that little warning voice in the back of my mind went off, and I googled it, and gues what...
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    now sky are sponsoring a team, they'd be crazy to buy the rights anyway. then all their investment would end up being to advertise their product to people who already have it.

much better to leave it on itv or whatever and get all day advertising. isn't that what they're paying for? they can advertise on sky for free already!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Leguape explains it in this thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Scroll down and there's more on page 2. In short, unless Sky offer it for free they ain't getting Tour rights.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:

Scroll down and there's more on page 2. In short, unless Sky offer it for free they ain't getting Tour rights.

I keep on hearing about bits of research which say that for Sky it really doesn't matter whether they even broadcast something on their channels, just so long as they carry it on the platform.

Sections of the audience don't see channel brands when they are viewing but the provider so they might talk about watching the Tour De France on Sky rather than on Eurosport because they get their telly package from Sky.

I'm not imagining that they showed the TDU highlights this year am I?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sky have been showing the TDU for years. Just a 30 minute show with Ligget and Sherwen each night.

I think I remember seeing edited highlights of the Tour de Suisse and the Deutschland Tour... maybe the year before last?
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Possibly, not sure where I heard it and can't find anything on the web. It was during a broadcast last year I think...

I may have dreamt it whilst asleep during today's stage.

Ive had some good dreams whilst sat in front of telly watching this years tour and one nightmare, Pharmstrong WON :x
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Anonymous
    iainf72 wrote:

I didn't dream it then!
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I wonder if Sky will change their policy next year when Team Sky could potentially be racing the tour..