40th Anniversary of the Moonlanding but was it a hoax?

jc4lab
jc4lab Posts: 554
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
This is being debated at the British Science of Museum and Industry in Manchester on Tuesday next week...Tyrone on Corronation Street also thinks is it was
jc

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I do think it's odd that they managed to get to the moon just eight years after JFK's speech, using essentially 1950s technology...

Should be a piece of cake these days... ;)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    softlad wrote:
    I do think it's odd that they managed to get to the moon just eight years after JFK's speech, using essentially 1950s technology...

Should be a piece of cake these days... ;)

So will they be mooncakes, then?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    I thought the Japanese KAGUYA Probe had proved they did go?

Or at least something landed and took off.

Didnt buzz aldrin deck some hoax geek?

tux
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It's pretty amazing to think that there is more computing power in most peoples mobile phones these days, than they used on Apollo 11 to land on the moon.

Mind you, if they had actually used a mobile phone, the roaming charges would have been astronomical! :lol:
    Cycling weakly
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173
    tuxpoo wrote:

tux

You can see him doing it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    RichN95 wrote:
    tuxpoo wrote:

tux

That must have caught him by surprise, quality. The mythbusters episode where they "prove" the photos taken on the moon werent fake is a good one.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    There's one way to prove it was real. Get all the conspiracy theorists, put them on the moon and leave them there.
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    RichN95 wrote:
    tuxpoo wrote:

tux

LOL! Class! not that I condone violence.
    Did you notice he’s ready with a right just in case his left didn’t land properly ...
    That’s NASA redundancy precautions for you!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nah, hoax all the way, we would've noticed the Clangers or the Soup Dragon if they'd landed. :shock:
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Dare someone to ask Aldrin if the punch he made on You tube was yet another hoax
    jc
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ... The mythbusters episode where they "prove" the photos taken on the moon werent fake is a good one.
    They also made the very good point that the Russians would have been tracking them and would've never shut up about it if it had never happened - remember, this was at the height of the cold war.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    jc4lab wrote:
    This is being debated at the British Science of Museum and Industry in Manchester on Tuesday next week...Tyrone on Corronation Street also thinks is it was

That's enough to convince me its fake. i mean if a celebrity believes its a fake, then so must I
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • softlad
    Crapaud wrote:
    They also made the very good point that the Russians would have been tracking them and would've never shut up about it if it had never happened - remember, this was at the height of the cold war.

that presumes that the Russians weren't in on it...

and don't forget that all this happened during Nixon's presidency....what an honest, upstanding chap he was... ;)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    when I first read about this about 15 years ago I thought there was some merit in the argument. Since then I've seen every claim by the luna sceptics exploded thoroughly. I think to continue to bang on about the landing(s) being a hoax is frankyl an insult to those involved - especially on the 40th anniversary.
  • Porgy
    softlad wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:

and don't forget that all this happened during Nixon's presidency....what an honest, upstanding chap he was... ;)

Johnson was president in 1969
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Porgy wrote:
    softlad wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:

see Nixon was so untrustworthy, he led you all to believe Johnson was president
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • softlad
    Porgy wrote:

LBJ left office in January 69 - Nixon was president when Apollo 11 landed in July....
  • Porgy
    softlad wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

LBJ left office in January 69 - Nixon was president when Apollo 11 landed in July....

OK OK - but any hoax would have had to be intitiated during Johnson's administration. Unless maybe - Tricky Dick realsied it wasn;t going to happen and instigated a last minute hoax which took in the global astronomical community and much of the media establishment, and the Russians, NASA, the CIA, FBI and anyone else directly or indirectloy involved with the launch, security and monitoring the broadcasts from the mission, etc...

Also - it wouldn;t be in his interest to fake a moonlanding as it was Kennedy and Johnson's reputation on the line, not his.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Perhaps our very existance is a hoax, perhaps we really only exist in a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines which live off of our body heat and imprison our minds within an artificial reality known as the Matr.......oh, hang on
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • BikeNewby
    BikeNewby Posts: 13
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Perhaps our very existance is a hoax, perhaps we really only exist in a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines which live off of our body heat and imprison our minds within an artificial reality known as the Matr.......oh, hang on

Yeah, but they would release that film wouldn't they? I mean just look at Basic Instinct (the bits no-one actually watches) - she gives herself an alibi by writing a book then the guy is killed in exactly the same way! Its all there!

Anyway if you take some of the letters in the Bible and rearrange them in a certain way they spell 'The moon landings were fake' with some letters left over.

Anyway on topic, I strongly suspect it would have been more effort to fake the landing than to actually do it.

[Something about Nostradamus etc]
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Appearantly 25% of Brits believe it was a hoax.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Porgy
    BikeNewby wrote:
    with some letters left over.

Anyway on topic, I strongly suspect it would have been more effort to fake the landing than to actually do it.

[Something about Nostradamus etc]

It does seem amazing that they did do it - I think that's the root of the hoax theories. But the only thing stopping us doing it now really is our increased sense of the risk. Maybe cost and the sheer poinltessness of revisiting past glories have something to do with it as well.

I think that they were incredibly lucky - there were so many things that could have gone wrong and nearly went wrong and did actually go wrong that it seems astonishing they succeeded.

When we revisit the moon - there'll be a lot less risk-taking and it'll be vastly more expensive as a resutl.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    My first recollections are of Apollo 8 going round the moon in Dec 1968.
    Ok, I was 10 when watching grainy shots on a black and white TV of the Apollo 11 moon landing.
    My wife's cousin went to Cape Kennedy and saw the Saturn V rocket lift off.
    I loved watching the moon landings up to Apollo 14 and bit my nails while hoping and praying Apollo 13 would come home safe.
    Then as teenage hormones kicked in - along with the rest of the world it got boring - especially after that car thing got used.
    I saw the Mythbusters thingy (like why the flag moved) and that reinforced my belief it was all genuine.

I saw Capricorn One (film about a fake Mars Landing) in about 1980 and it seems to me that all the moon conspiracy theories seem to have come out since then.

I mean if it was a fake why pretend to go to the moon several times?
    Appearantly 25% of Brits believe it was a hoax.

you spelled 'idiots' wrong there
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    if it was real, what I don't understand is why the cheese didn't melt underneath the rockets of the LEM???? Never seen any of the conspiracy / hoax programmes spot that little inconsistency.... HAH!!!
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • Crapaud
    Anyone watch Channel 5's The Truth Behind the Moon Landings:Stranger Than Fiction? It might be on Demand 5 later.

If you still think it was a hoax you're an idiot. (Does anyone on this thread really think it was a hoax?)
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Crapaud wrote:
    Anyone watch Channel 5's The Truth Behind the Moon Landings:Stranger Than Fiction? It might be on Demand 5 later.

If you still think it was a hoax you're an idiot. (Does anyone on this thread really think it was a hoax?)

Some of these believers in the Moon Landing Hoax conspiracy are so weird they think Elvis is really dead. :wink:

Apologies to the X Files.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • softlad
    Crapaud wrote:

Channel 5 wouldn't know the truth if it shagged them up the ar5e....

I don't believe it was a hoax, because there is no absolute proof - but I am prepared to entertain the notion, because I find that sort of stuff interesting.

You only have to look at some of the lengths that governments are prepared to go to in order to deceive their own population to make you question at least some of the things you hear...

'Project Northwoods' is a good example - well worth googling....
  • Crapaud
    softlad wrote:
    ... You only have to look at some of the lengths that governments are prepared to go to in order to deceive their own population to make you question at least some of the things you hear...
    You only have to see how successful they are to realise that NASA / US Government couldn't possibly keep the moon landing quiet.
    softlad wrote:
    ... 'Project Northwoods' is a good example - well worth googling....
    'Project Northwoods' is a good example - they completely failed to keep it secret.
  • softlad
    Crapaud wrote:
    Project Northwoods' is a good example - they completely failed to keep it secret.

Northwoods was never actually initiated. If it had been, it's unlikely the documents would ever have been de-classified....