Carbon Bikes Summer Only?

DB100
DB100 Posts: 258
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Any advice regarding riding carbon bikes in winter, I visited an LBS today and the guy advised a carbon bike for summer but alu/steel for winter. Is this the general consensus?

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    No, but if you want to ride with mudguards through winter you'll find more alu/steel frames available with the necessary clearance than carbon ones. You can always use clip ons with a carbon race frame.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    In my experience, you're more likely to crash in winter (wet and icy roads). I wouldn't want to be unnecessarily splashing out on a new frame.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They go 'soft' in the rain too :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    'soft' ?

explain please
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll be using mine as my winter bike due to impending new BestBiketm
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Its funny how we save our carbon bikes for summer and use corrodable alloys for our winter bikes!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not me!

I will have a ti BestBike and my full carbon Look will be the do-it-all bike...
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Mothyman wrote:
    'soft' ?

explain please

He's taking the mickey :lol: . My winter bike is dead and is also to small so my Kuota has become my year round bike whilst i save for a KOM. I reckon, judging by how well the 'dale lasted, i've got, at least, 'til summer 2011 to save for
    the new stead. And even then the Ksano will last many more years as the 'winter' bike(i don't mind being wet on my bike, it's the cold which is a bar-steward.IMO
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    dizzydane wrote:
    In my experience, you're more likely to crash in winter (wet and icy roads). I wouldn't want to be unnecessarily splashing out on a new frame.....

To be honest if it's too icy to ride a carbon bike i would not want to ride full stop. Bones break regardless of the bike being riden :D

This is the UK, It's wet more time than it's dry these days :wink:

Anyway if i trash my bike in winter it finally gives me an excuse to buy an expensive top end summer bike 8)