enegy drink ?

LEE_05
LEE_05 Posts: 97
whats the best energy drink to get for while i am out on the bike ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    In all honesty, I've never found I've needed energy drinks unless I'm out all day for several consecutive days at a time. By that, I mean 6 or 7 hours riding each day for 3 or more days.
    But I usually carry a bottle of lucozade sport in my camelback (seperate to teh water) in case I hit the wall, or just want something with a different taste.

Trouble I found with energy drinks was that they have so many calories, that I was piling on the weight.
  • yeehaamcgee
    Make them yourself then :wink:
  • Anonymous
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    yeehaamcgee
    Make them yourself then :wink:
    eh? make what myself? water?
  • an energy drink!

I see what you mean - SIS PSP22 is around 700kcal per 2l as made up by the instructions! but... how many kcal do you burn when out on your bike?!
    the energy provided from sports drinks are supposed to be highly accessible to the body for making energy, therefore meaning none should be stored.

I guess its all down to how hard you work, terrain, difficulty, exertion, personal metabolism etc etc.

I've been drinking energy drinks every weekend since I was 11 (playing rugby) !! and I'm no chubby :wink:
    obviously if you drink them without exercising then you will put on weight!!
    As you say, carrying a single bottle of lucozade can help for the times when you burn out!
    A hypotonic drink however, would be better at keeping you hydrated + have lower kcal.

Then again....its all personal preference :)
  • Anonymous
    Well, what I found is that if I eat like I normally do, AND drink energy drinks, then I put on weight.
    Presumably, that's because my body just uses the readily available supply from the energy drink, and the food I eat get's "put away".

I don't need a hypotonic drink, I have a 2.5l camelback, the lucozade is there for when I hit the wall, to get my legs going again. Most of the time I don't need it.

I really don't believe that the vast majority of riders need this stuff, unless they're training to the extremes. As I said, I only find I'm getting low on energy if I do several consecutive LONG days, where I'm constantly using more energy than I can take in.
  • i like just ro water w/ fresh lemon squeezed in it for the electrolites. it's cheap and easy.
    what works for me.... fresh apple cidar, blended with barley grass powder and a banana. tasty, energizing, alkalizing.
  • TarkMalbot
    TarkMalbot Posts: 181
    Hva eyou considered any powders that you add water and mix yourself? You could try something like Maximuscle Viper or similar.