which is better step machine or cross trainer?

CrazySmudge
CrazySmudge Posts: 137
Happy Thursday everyone

trying to up my training and making it biking orientated - what is better for biking the cross trainer or the step up machine? I know it is a bit girly but I thought the step machine may be more suitable and make my legs stronger for those lovely climbs.

Just I thought i would check with you.

Smudge

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    exercise bike, then rowing machine.
  • CrazySmudge
    exercise bike - yep spinning twice a week

rowing yep 2000 metres

had a go on the cross trainer yesterday after a long run but saw the step up machine and wondered if it was any better.
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    whats a reasonable time for 2k on the rower? I managed 9mins the other night on level 6 resistance out of 10.

There meant to be very good for intervals as well.. .

Nick
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • TarkMalbot
    TarkMalbot Posts: 181
    Rowing machine is best IMP followed by the Cross trainer. An all body work out.

My 2K time on the rowing machine is about 7 1/2 Mins. When I have been training and logging my progres on concept2.com under 8 mins is pretty good going.

Interval training is the way forward. You can burn more fat and increase your VO2 max more in 4 mins than you can in half hour if you do high intensity interval training. You can do things like sprint for 10 seconds and rest for 20 and repeat 8 times for instance. Using the same method I sometimes row as hard as I can for 1 min and then slowly for 2 mins. Another way is using a heart rate monitor to stay withing certain training zones.

Although as this is a bike forum the stepper would be good for the legs for climbing and training on a bike will make you better on your bike. It depends if you want stronger legs or better fitness. Why not do both. :wink:

And if you want stronger legs get doing some squats and deadlifts. Builds muscle all over your body.

All good fun. :wink:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    The cross trainer, and rower are the only decent CV equipments in the gym, apart from 'spinning' bikes (the flywheel weight ones).

I always find the rower a RIGHT beasting. Even when I try and take it steady, my heart rate soars up! And the cross trainer, I can blast out 1400kcals in ONE HOUR on that beastie! Is on intervals, so again increases your VO2 substantially.

8)

Also, for strength, as TarkMalbot has mentioned - deadlifts and squats. Get a decent weightlifitng belt though, as it's surprisingly easy to give yourself a hernia...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • CrazySmudge
    this is all really good advice guys thanks

My routine is normally - ride as much as I can at the weekend,

run for 30 to 35 mins on monday - interval training 2 minutes jogging 12.2 km/hr then sprint 14.5/15km/hr so roughly 7k what is better sprint more often i.e 30 second sprint and 1 m rest for a 15 minites or 35 mintues at 1 minute spint and 2 minute rest.

Then spinning for 45 mins

Tuesday spinning 45min

Wednesday 35min run and 20min cross train

Thursday spin 45 mins

friday rest before the weeknd

Weights - loving the cannon balls with handles not sure what they are called

(remember only have a hour for lunch)

Now wise and experience people - how can I improve this? Rowing noted

Training for Adventure races - Biking and running so stamina important
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    I'd say you need another rest day in there, thats an awful lot of sessions, I reckon you'll get injured if you don't build up to that gently..

Nick
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • TarkMalbot
    TarkMalbot Posts: 181
    "Cannon Balls with handles. " :lol:

They would be Kettle Bells:

kettle_bell.jpg

It does sound like you are training a lot. I would advise doing 2 or 3 full body workouts a week with the weights (or kettle bells) and adding some CV work inbetween with at least 1 day off a week and 2 days between each full body work out.

Everyone will train differently at different times and different rest days but something like:

Monday = Full Body Work Out

Tuesday = Spinning

Wednesday = Day Off

Thursday = Full Body Work Out

Friday = Rowing

Weekend = Cycling, More CV in the Gym or another full body work out.

I would advise against doing weights and CV in the same session if doing a full body work out. This involves Sqauts, Bench press, Deadlifts, Pull Ups, Dips, shoulder press & bent over rowing.

Then do your 35 mins interval training the next day.

One thing is that I am traing for all ruond fitness so wanting to pack on muscle, loose fat, increase strngth and endurance. Youmay want to tailor it differently if your adventure racing. My main thing is Superbike racing but also want to be a jack of all trades if you know what I mean.

You can still do the same routine as someone wanting to build muscle but adjust your sets and reps and the recovery time in between. Lower weights but higher reps for endurance and with less time between sets will also burn more calories.

Good Luck with whatever you do. You must be pretty fit at the moment to be doing what you are!
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Happy Thursday everyone

trying to up my training and making it biking orientated - what is better for biking the cross trainer or the step up machine? I know it is a bit girly but I thought the step machine may be more suitable and make my legs stronger for those lovely climbs.

Just I thought i would check with you.

Smudge

do both, ideally you want to vary your workouts as much as possible, they will all develop slightly different muscles, vary everything in cv, distance, time, intensity, duration etc, it makes it a lot more interesting aswell. i personally use the Xtrainer a lot for fitness becuase it is the easiest to recover from and dont really feel any effects the next day, however if you are trying to build leg strength it probably isnt much good. the best thing you can do for cycling, is cycling!
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337