No Boardman Pro Carbon stock, what else for £1500?

DanEvs
DanEvs Posts: 640
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
As Halfords have no Boardman Pro carbon stock for a month or so can someone please suggest something of a similar spec/quality that I can get my hands on (off the shelf) for £1500ish please?

Ta.

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Are you really in that much of a rush to get one of can you wait a little? The Giant TCR advanced 2 came out best bike for less than £1700 on this site. I think it's £1595 so may be worth a look. I thought about getting one for a winter bike, but bought another Trek Madone
  • ACMadone
    Dan where in North Wales are you? Anglessey is lovely for a ride around the coast
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Patience is a virtue, unfortunately it's just not one of mine! :roll: :)

I'm in Colwyn Bay and as a mountain biker I find Anglesey a bit dull (read flat), Snowdonia's where it's at! :wink:

The Boardman spec is just too good to miss out on, looks like I'll have to wait. :cry:
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    For £1599 Planet-X are selling their SL Pro Carbon frame with full Dura Ace 7900 groupset - which is a pretty good deal - just another option to consider.....

Good luck

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • ACMadone
    There's a wicked hill that I fancy going up in Colwyn bay that goes to a pub called and pardon my Welsh Pan y brye. Do you know where I mean? and please correct me for my spelling. Father in law does a lot of touring and tells me to get out around Snowdonia but living in Leeds, I hardly ever get over that way.

Boardmans do seem to measure up well on spec so could be worth the wait. I've just shelled out for a 2010 Madone for winter so have to wait myself to get it.
  • ACMadone
    ScottieP wrote:
    For £1599 Planet-X are selling their SL Pro Carbon frame with full Dura Ace 7900 groupset - which is a pretty good deal - just another option to consider.....

Good luck

ScottieP

So you pay £1599 for a bike, and get a groupset that normally costs at least £1050 if you shop around. So in essence you are paying £549 for a frame, wheels and finishing kit. Personally I wouldn't touch a carbon frame that costs around £400.
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    ACMadone wrote:
    So you pay £1599 for a bike, and get a groupset that normally costs at least £1050 if you shop around. So in essence you are paying £549 for a frame, wheels and finishing kit. Personally I wouldn't touch a carbon frame that costs around £400.

Fair enough ... each to their own and all that - but Planet X have a good reputation and if you work out the component costs of the Boardman, it's probably not much different in it's value either .... I don't own either - just trying to suggest another alternative.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ribble Sportive - set your own spec - should get something tasty for £1500

Kuota Kharma - comes with 105 for £1499 - But I upgraded to ultegra for an extra £90
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Orbea Onix Giro £1599

Zeus Ziccs AC Carbon forks
    2009 SRAM Rival 10sp compact groupset
    Mavic Aksium clincher wheelset
    Vittoria Rubino tyres
    Zeus Cat I stem and bars
    Zeus carbon seatpost
    Selle Italia XR Transam saddle

and lifetime warranty on the frame!

you also have the Scott CR1 Pro Special Edition - £1599
    Scott CR1 HMF carbon frame with SDS (shock damping system)
    Scott CR1 Carbon 1 1/8 Fork
    Shimano Ultegra Compact 10sp Groupset
    Scott Oversize Pro Anatomic Handlebars and Stem
    Ritchey Carbon Pro 31.6mm Seatpost
    Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset (standard model with Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset also available)
    Hutchinson Equinox tyres
    Scott Road Pro Saddle

Both from reputable manufacturers!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    +1 for the Orbea. Although personally I'm waiting for the Boardman.
  • ACMadone
    kingrollo wrote:
    Ribble Sportive - set your own spec - should get something tasty for £1500

Kuota Kharma - comes with 105 for £1499 - But I upgraded to ultegra for an extra £90

A friend of mine has just bought the Kuota Kharma and absolutely loves it
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Don't know why, I'm put off the Boardman because it's so mainstream.. give me a Pinarello any day.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    bikerZA wrote:
    Don't know why, I'm put off the Boardman because it's so mainstream.. give me a Pinarello any day.

yes - but no body will 'give' you a pinarello - I wanted a carbon pinarello - with ultegra your looking at £2500 !!!
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    kingrollo wrote:
    bikerZA wrote:

yes - but no body will 'give' you a pinarello - I wanted a carbon pinarello - with ultegra your looking at £2500 !!!

yep, you're not wrong there!!
  • RucA
    RucA Posts: 31
    .....another £65 on top of ur budget and u get Specialized Tarmac comp 2009....
    Have a test ride on one of them....greattttt
    TREK 1.7 comp 2008
    SPECIALIZED TARMAC comp 2009
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Scott CR1 - Often overlooked but very capable. I love mine. KUDU Bikes and Westbrook Cycles of Stokesley ofter have these in stock with excellent reductions.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”