Goretex road shoes

onthefells
onthefells Posts: 157
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
As a relative newbie who is really a runner but injured and therefore getting into cycling in a big way I've got a kit question.

I cycled Lands End to J.O.G. a few weeks back and my kit performed very well in harsh weather. However, the real weakness was shoes in the rain. I had 2 pairs of good covers but neither could stand the constant rain on 3 of the days. With water coming off the road its not surprising I guess but if as I suspect I have to give up running I want to cycle all year round in all conditions without getting trench foot!!

I've seen at least 3 companies do goretex road boots. My question is this, has anyone used them? if so which make and how effective are they? It seems there is a fair discrepancy in price with Sidi's being by far the most expensive. I don't mind paying a lot for kit but I want to know it works first. Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    To be honest, not much can withstand constant rain. The reason is not the waterproofness of the material, but the gaping hole at the top where your foot goes in. Unless you have fully waterproof leggings or overtrousers that go over the top of the boots, you will get wet feet. And waterproof shoes take longer to dry. I have Shimano MW02 boots which I think are great, but unless they are a part of a full waterproof set-up they won't keep your feet dry over the long haul.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If you get a shoe with a a high ankle cuff like this Shimano MW02, you can make a seal for the top using the wrist sections of a pair of marigold rubber gloves. This seals quite well against bare skin - any longs have to go over the top.

The alternative is to use a pair of SPD sandals. You either get wet feet and let them dry out quickly, or you can use waterproof socks (sealskins or whatever) with similar marigold ankle seals.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Goretex / Sealskinz socks and sandals - apparently works well but not so sure about the look. If you really want dry feet you need a mudguard to stop the spray onto your legs and running down into your shoes...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I've used Northwave and they do keep your feet dry for quite sometime especially with sealskinz socks. Of course after a while water does get in the tops. If you have waterproof trousers over the tops of the shoes then they'll keep you dry all day I found.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I've got the Northwave ones as well. Great for stopping road spray but the downside of any waterproof shoes is that they are waterproof both ways :wink:

Many times after a real downpour I've had to empty them like a teapot and put in a drying room for a couple of days to get them OK again....
  • onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    thanks guys...replies were pretty much as I expected as its exactly the same for running. goretex shoes are ok until the water gets in then it can't get out!!

still think my feet will be a lot drier in them than without though and as I've only got one pair of cycling shoes I may as well make my second ones waterproof ones. Now can I resist the Sid ones mmmmmmmm......