Marin Hamilton - freehub/sprocket replacement?

mjyule
mjyule Posts: 11
edited July 2009 in The workshop
Hi - long time lurker 1st time post :D

I've been out of biking for a few years (sold my Bottechia and Stumpy M4 in 01/02 due to back trouble) but I've got the bug and rather than jump straight in and buy a racer I thought I'd try a singlespeed. My 20 year old Giant Super Sierra has spent some time as a single - but that was done using a spacer / broken cassette.

I got the Hamilton and on taking out the rear wheel I'm confused as to what kind of cog and freewheel I need. I'm guessing a Pedros 4 prong tool will get the freewheel off but not sure of the fixed side. I am handy at spannering and have a well equipped tool box - but I don't have the tools for this :(

Can anyone advise what I need to bump the gearing - I got a 33T 20T (both sides) and am looking at putting a 16T on the back free side and maybe an 18T on the fixed?

Any replies greatly appreciated.
Mark
Not been on a bike for 5 years due to back injury - but getting the itch again :-D

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Depending on the hub type, sprockets are usually screwed on to the hub with a lockring finishing the job. The lockring comes off with a C-spanner (occaisionally disguised as a screwdriver and hammer) and a chain whip unscrews the sprocket. Miche hubs are a little different, undo the lockring and the sprocket slides off its' carrier.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed