The Badger on Evans, beating Astana and Lance baiting

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/tourde ... 69342.html

Pretty good read with his usual comments.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I'm normally a fan of Hinault but what is he on ?? "Evans could get in a good breakaway". I reckon there's more chance of me getting in a good breakaway. With Astana having so many people high up in the GC, there's no way he'd be allowed to go up the road so the only way he can gain time is attacking on a mountain which is not quite the same thing, and franky the way Contador took off in Andorra I don't see that happening either.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    he's right to castigate the other teams for saying cadel shouldn't have attacked... what's their tactic, wheelsuck astana and wait for a crash ???

he's right in that the teams should take it in turns to attack astana, that way they will break at some point and you get an open race
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Yeah, I do agree with that; it's like everyone else has given up. It's a race FFS. Apart from the last 2 km today and yesterday (yesterday was maybe a bit of a strange day so doesn't count) it's been more like a cycling holiday
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    He is so full of crap.
    Hinault, today, denies there was any rift between the pair, adding that the Armstrong-Contador issue is different, saying: "Non .. non. There were no controversy between Greg and me. In 1985, I was designated to win the Tour. In 1986, he was there to win the Tour. And it happened like that.

"What we see is that there are two who want to win. It is the opposite. Armstrong says he wants to win. Contador, he says, 'I am also here to win.' "

Let's ask Greg Lemond if that's a true statement.

And wasn't there an interview with a French TV show where Hinault indicated he WAS going to try to win (back in 1986)?
  • dsoutar wrote:
    Yeah, I do agree with that; it's like everyone else has given up. It's a race FFS. Apart from the last 2 km today and yesterday (yesterday was maybe a bit of a strange day so doesn't count) it's been more like a cycling holiday
    :D
    Dan
  • jackhammer111 - banned
    edited July 2009
    thanks for livening things up again.

Hinault of course comes from when men were men and you won from minutes down by getting in long breakaways against teams stacked with 2 riders clearly your equal and 2 more who's sole purpose in life is to ride you into the ground.

There's a reason Hinault went back to being a farmer when he retired.

His main value now is as a prop.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    I think it's going to require a lot of attacks, and a lot of luck. And unless he is incredibly strong, no one is going to let him get too much time. He just doesn't have the class, unfortunately.

And not to mention Hinault is as mad as a box of frogs.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I love a bit of Hinault :lol:

He's like Patton. Attack attack attack 8)
  • "Hinault, today, denies there was any rift between the pair, adding that the Armstrong-Contador issue is different, saying: "Non .. non. There were no controversy between Greg and me. In 1985, I was designated to win the Tour. In 1986, he was there to win the Tour. And it happened like that."
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Oh Jeez, just what French cycling fans like me needed: another killer Grandpa SImpson impression by our best cyclist ever. .
    "I have always said that someone who wants to attack should attack."
    Oh come on uncle Bernie, you mean like back in the day, when you were the boss and when a guy you didn't like too much would try and get away, you'd catch him and give him a big b*ll*cking in front of French TV cameras and make sure he wouldn't get any post-Tour criterium spot? Don'tcha remember doing that to Pelier, Lilholt, Bernaudeau, Anderson, Breu, many many others? Generally speaking, weren't you the Lance of your time? Weren't you and old Cyrille Guimard far worse than Armstrong and Bruyneel could ever be?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Philip S wrote:
    I love a bit of Hinault :lol:

He's like Patton. Attack attack attack 8)

Talking of Patton, I noticed that last weekend there was a race in Luxembourg called "GP General Patton", which I thought was the strangest name for a race I'd come across

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/gp-general-patton-2-ncu/stages/stage-2/results
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • donrhummy

Hinault of course comes from when men were men and you won from minutes down by getting in long breakaways against teams stacked with 2 riders clearly your equal and 2 more who's sole purpose in life is to ride you into the ground.

When men were men?

* He was prominent in a riders' strike at Valence d'Agen in the 1978 Tour to protest against split stages, in which the riders had to ride a stage in the morning and another in the afternoon. He also imposed discipline and often cooperation among riders, once decreeing that "there will be no attacks today because tomorrow's stage will be difficult". (From Wikipedia)

* 1986 he attacked his own teammate Greg Lemond and by all-accounts he split the team into French vs American riders (according not only to Lemond and Hampsten but many others and numerous reporters) Even meals were eaten separately.

Hinault was known as the "Patron" and was famous for his anger and strong enforcement of HIS law when he ruled cycling. He was EXACTLY the same as what he accusses Lance of being.
  • donrhummy wrote:

When men were men?

* He was prominent in a riders' strike at Valence d'Agen in the 1978 Tour to protest against split stages, in which the riders had to ride a stage in the morning and another in the afternoon. He also imposed discipline and often cooperation among riders, once decreeing that "there will be no attacks today because tomorrow's stage will be difficult". (From Wikipedia)

* 1986 he attacked his own teammate Greg Lemond and by all-accounts he split the team into French vs American riders (according not only to Lemond and Hampsten but many others and numerous reporters) Even meals were eaten separately.

Hinault was known as the "Patron" and was famous for his anger and strong enforcement of HIS law when he ruled cycling. He was EXACTLY the same as what he accusses Lance of being.

i forgot the [sarcasm/on] [sarcasm/off] switches.
  • donrhummy
    Oh, yeah and does anyone here remember that Hinault himself broke one of the biggest rules he used to enforce? He attacked (with Delgado) in the feed zone in 1986!

What a hypocrite.