Hillingdon vs HogHill

carbonfool
carbonfool Posts: 43
edited July 2009 in Amateur race
I have done a few races but only at Hillingdon and find it a bit dicey. Other than just going to Hog Hill myself can anyone comment who has raced at both? Is Hog Hill a safer course?

Thanks.

Comments

• Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    carbonfool wrote:
    I have done a few races but only at Hillingdon and find it a bit dicey. Other than just going to Hog Hill myself can anyone comment who has raced at both? Is Hog Hill a safer course?

Thanks.

Dicey? In wot way?
  • carbonfool
    carbonfool Posts: 43
    I am not a fan of the chicane bit just before the finish line and feel I have had to worry about not crashing rather than giving it 100%. I have had a 3rd and 4th position as a 4th cat but in a <30 field when with the e/1/2/3's in a 40+ group it was 'dicey'. So I wondered if Hog Hill flowed easier and has a clearer finish line. Or maybe I am just a big wimp.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Hog Hill is an up hill finish, so speeds are lower in th esprint, so safer in that sense. The hill although not as hard as made out does dominate the racing and the circuit does not flow as a result. The descent is very fast and you need to trust your bike handling for the 2nd corner. The hairpin at th efar end can also catch people out if they try to pedal through too fast.

All in a different circuit, that contrasts with Hillingdon, which is a good thing. The "chicane" at Hillingdon is the same each lap so riders should be aware of it - the course itself is not inherently dangerous.
  • bikeboy123
    bikeboy123 Posts: 63
    i like hillingdon as a circuit, i was racing the national champs there on saturday and found it a good course, and we had 72 riders racing at once, so 30 or so would be a breaze...

crit racings crit racing...you touch bars nock into each other and it allgets very agressive, thats why its great lol
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    the field tends to smaller at hog hill... is my observation
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm