TDF - what's with the black socks?

boneyjoe
boneyjoe Posts: 369
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Couldn't help but notice these on some of the riders - think David Millar wore a pair when he made his break the other day - not just tiny ones around the ankles, but come way up the shin. Looks like they're heading home from the office, having forgotten to bring their cycling socks in - absolutely awful! Or is this a new fashion we all need to take up?
Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Black socks rule. They're all copying me.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Black is more aero. Fact.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • mmitchell88
    I didn't mean aero. I meant sexy.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Mid-shin socks suck. Big time.
    Looks like they're heading home from the office, having forgotten to bring their cycling socks in

My thoughts exactly.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    ok, I'm going to cycle home with my work socks on today and see if I get any comments! :D Will also try for a new PB and let you know!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Surely everyone knows black is the fastest colour. It just is.

I have heard from a reliable sauce that Zipp are working with a clothing manufacturer to introduce a range of black socks with dimples on that will make riders' legs more aero.

My chap didn't know if knee-length ones were better than ankle-length. Perhaps we'll see the riders who don't like long socks having their skin dimpled...

:wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • mmitchell88
    Simon E wrote:
    socks with dimples on that will make riders' legs more aero.

It would appear that I already have a highly aero tummy.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    To protect against DVT?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    They are compression socks.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    haha, gotta love the black socks!
  • hideous. A worse crime than blood doping.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    I only ever ride in black socks these days................white are so last year :D
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Simon E wrote:
    socks with dimples on that will make riders' legs more aero.

It would appear that I already have a highly aero tummy.

LOL

And no wonder Cadel Evan's is such a good TT - with a face like that!
  • mmitchell88
    dodgy wrote:
    They are compression socks.

I reckon the best way to recover following a big day would include compression socks along with heel elevation.

Now, clearly you want to be able to move around a bit, (stagger to the fridge for your post-sprint mars bar, glass of rose, you know the sort of thing).

And you want to ensure that if you get spotted by a wandering photographer, that your team identity is still obvious.

For that reason, I have no reason to doubt that all of the Garmin team are currently tottering around in these little beauties....

432803049_fada2840eb.jpg
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    where's her other leg ?????
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight