fort william to inverness

adamwood92
adamwood92 Posts: 32
edited July 2009 in Routes
later this summer i will be riding from fort william to inverness along the caledonian canal. it is an area of scotland i have never been to and i wondered if anyone has alreadt rode that route and could tell me what to expect in the way of terrain and gradient.

many thanks
adam
x
nay denner rickta

Comments

• dobo 1
    dobo 1 Posts: 3
    Hi,

I did a charity event last year along the route and had a fab time. My fitness level is about 75% and had no problem with the terrain or distance. One or two long climbs but well worth the effort as the downhills were awesome!!

Can assure you that once you have done it you'll be back for more.

enjoy

dobo
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Very nice country, but I went by canoe :lol: - was very fun, though the hills on either side if the water looked perfect for riding.

Though i assume you won't be taking in all the highest peaks?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    We did it in reverse from Inverness in 2004.We followed the Great Glen Way which is mostly off road 8) I would definitely go back and do it the other way 8)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, follow the great glen way - well waymarked and not too hard really - not many climbs for the highlands. Easier than the west highland way I've heard. Great area.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Definitely easier than the WHW!We did both,the GGW north to soth then the WHW north to south after a rest day.Brilliant way to get from Inverness to Glasgow 8)