Travel Insurance - Bike Cover

caws
caws Posts: 4
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi all

Am off to the Alps this weekend to watch the Tour throughout next week and taking my road bike so i can do some loops whilst im there.

I'm having difficulty finding travel insurance that would cover the value of the bike should it be stolen, with stingy single value limits averageing around £350

Can anyone recommend good travel insurance at a decent price, which has a single value item limit greater than this. I have a Boardman Team - had it for £550 down from £900 so i guess id be looking to cover for £550, although spent a bit upgrading since.

Any insight / comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Caws

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have you thought about using your household contents insurance? It could be worth talking to your insurance company.

I know it doesn't help for this weekend, but if they can't help it might be worth changing insurance company. I have insurance with M&S (AXA) which gives me £4,000 of cover for goods away from the home (I don't even have to specify it on the policy). Tesco's Finest contents insurance is similar if not better so also worth checking out.

But that said, if anyone knows of decent travel/bike insurance, I'd be interested as well because my contents policy doesn't cover me for more than 30 days away from home.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Obvious answer really: the CTC's travel insurance offers cover up to £1,500 plus replacement bike hire.

http://www.citybond.co.uk/index.jsp?agtintref=CTIN01

Policy documents here:

http://www.citybond.co.uk/summary_of_cover.jsp

(And having checked the small print), note that:
    Bicycles left Unattended in premises or areas open to the public and not being used or supervised must be left where any potential theft can easily be seen and locked to an immovable object by an approved lock or kept in a separate and secure area not accessible by anyone other than the Insured, and secured by a five lever lock to British standard BS3621.

So, given the price of your bike, you might be better off with a cheaper insurance policy and taking the risk of being £200 out of pocket if the bike got nicked. Or take a lock.
  • caws
    caws Posts: 4
    Thanks for that Andy

Will need to change my house insurance i think - a friend also suggested M&S.

Caws