raleigh MTRAX 3 as a first proper bike

skellator
skellator Posts: 29
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Would this bike be suitable for the Red routes at the 7 stanes centres in sw scotland i am 10 mins from ae and mabie. and would it do as a cross country bike, also what would be worth upgrading first it has a rock shox tora fork with lockout, quad dime hyd diskand SRAM X7 Group seems like good enough to me but let me know what your thoughts are, also has the carbon rear seat stays
What goes up must come down wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Comments

• cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    A perfectly good bike if you ask me and it should be fine for what you want to do. Looks gorgeous imo!

Some brand snobs might sniff at it because its a raleigh but its what you do with the bike that counts and as long as you have fun too. Nice bike!
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    Looks not bad. Are you getting it on cycle to work scheme cos if not for the price the Boardmans are better spec'ed however they do not have the carbon seat stays :?

But looks like a decent bike. :)
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • skellator
    skellator Posts: 29
    no buying from my lbs but getting a deal £150 off and 2 free services and a 1 hour 1 to 1 off road lesson
    What goes up must come down wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    Fair enough, sounds a good deal to me. :)
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not quite the same bike, but I rode the Mtrax 4 at a demo day a while back and it was pretty horrible- very nice spec but it just didn't handle, it felt like it wanted to throw me over the bars on every descent, but it didn't even have particularily good climbing manners to balance out. It just felt like a dirt-cheap frame with nice parts bolted on- at the time my own bike was an up-specced Carrera Kraken and it wasn't even as good as that. But they do review well, so maybe we just weren't jelling.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Crisdp720
    Crisdp720 Posts: 2
    Had a bespoke bike built around an MRAX Alu/CarbF frame... Revelation Team U Turn, XT groupset, Mavic, SDG Bel Air Rl ti and NS Arials.... A really great ride, frame was stiff and the set up gave loads of feedback... Great XC bike. Some theiving gits helped themselves to it (and my wifes bike)...

Liked it so much bough a 3.0 for my wife as a replacement. Still not sure what to do about mine.. re-build or stock buy???