Bordry accuses UCI of being lax

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's oddly disappointing that there hasn't even been a whisper of a doping scandal yet. Very disconcerting.
  • Anyone know any details of who is being "indulged"?
  • FFS just when you start enjoying the cycling the UCI come along and start fcuking it all up.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    afx237vi wrote:
    It's oddly disappointing that there hasn't even been a whisper of a doping scandal yet. Very disconcerting.

yeah what kind of tour is this....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • yeah what kind of tour is this....

A clean one? :shock:

I'll get mi coat
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Anyone know any details of who is being "indulged"?
    The indulgence was shown to Armstrong & Co.

Astana were supposed to be surprise blood-tested before the stage on 4 July and the tests were delayed by 55 mins because Astana officials intercepted the testers (two UCI men plus a doctor), inviting them to coffee first. Thus the test when performed, was no surprise anymore.

Same sort of story as the attempt to surprise test Armstrong the other week. He needed a shower first or something.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:

Astana were supposed to be surprise blood-tested before the stage on 4 July and the tests were delayed by 55 mins because Astana officials intercepted the testers (two UCI men plus a doctor), inviting them to coffee first. Thus the test when performed, was no surprise anymore.

Same sort of story as the attempt to surprise test Armstrong the other week. He needed a shower first or something.
    Oops, I gave the date wrong above. I meant to write 11 July.

Also forgot to mention this was the second occasion Bordry has felt unhappy about UCI and Astana. Apparently after the TTT, the UCI testers happily waited 15 mins outside the team bus while the Astana team freshened up and did whatever else they did out of view of the testers, which isn’t really allowed.

The testers wanted to do urine tests. Evidently 15 mins is enough time to be hide any doping which would show in a urine test.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited July 2009
    Given the way the UCI has gone out of their way to protect Armstrong in the past, I can quite well believe that they are still doing so.

Also, Walsh was probably right when he said the following:

What we've done in the book is basically look at the way cycling is now operating, and the influence Lance Armstrong is able to achieve within the operation of the sport. Pierre and I believe Armstrong's influence is very significant.

AS: Is this in regards to Clerc being pushed out of the ASO?

DW: Yes, a big change has happened in the ASO where they went from being the organization that was leading, right at the forefront of the anti-doping movement in professional cycling to, in our opinion, an organization that has accepted that doping is an integral part of the sport, and by highlighting the problem, you only damage the commercial viability of the sport. They've taken a cynical view, they were hurting their bottom line by focusing so much attention on the doping problem. Changes were made, and people who were leading that charge were ousted. The ASO is taking a much more pragmatic view now, of how to run the Tour de France.

AS: Is it the Amaury family that's behind this?

DW: Yes. They got into discussions with the UCI, and the outcome of that just wasn't good, in our opinion, for the anti-doping movement.

AS: So do you believe the UCI is actually working counter to the anti-doping movement?

DW: Well, in certain respects it wants to be seen as being right at the front of it, with the whole biological passport stuff. And some of that is very good, although it hasn't produced any results yet. But in relation to having the Tour de France scandalized by doping stories, I think the UCI is at one with the ASO now, in that they both believe it is very bad for the sport to have major doping controversies like we've had over the last number of years, and they've decided that at whatever cost, that's not going to continue.

I don't believe that this year's Tour, or next year's Tour, or the Tour after that, we'll be finding big guys positive. I just don't believe it'll be happening.

http://velocitynation.com/content/inter ... avid-walsh
  • knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Also forgot to mention this was the second occasion Bordry has felt unhappy about UCI and Astana. Apparently after the TTT, the UCI testers happily waited 15 mins outside the team bus while the Astana team freshened up and did whatever else they did out of view of the testers, which isn’t really allowed.

The testers wanted to do urine tests. Evidently 15 mins is enough time to be hide any doping which would show in a urine test.
    Any chance of some links / references? Thanks!
  • innocenti
    innocenti Posts: 33
    Flipping heck these UCI testers are a crack unit of Vampires arent they? Dedicated to the task of combating doping throughout the peleton, the moral guardians of the sport, the nights in shining armour to defeat the forces of darkness. Their only weakness, the crack in the armour, the Kryptonite that can defeat them...a cup of coffee?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I thought Armstrong would've learned his lesson about showers when the testers arrive...
  • drenkrom wrote:
    I thought Armstrong would've learned his lesson about showers when the testers arrive...
    First time around he was just laying out the ground rules. :wink:
  • iainf72
    drenkrom wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder if there is any footage like there was of the other incident
  • aurelio wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Please!
  • knedlicky
    aurelio wrote:
    aurelio wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

Astana ....
    Also forgot to mention ... .
    Please!
    I’ve been off the forum almost 24 hours so couldn’t help with links, but surely you’ve seen the 55 min delay story somewhere today, now it’s become more public? The testers wanted to do surprise visits to 11 riders, intending to do the big 4 in Astana plus 7 others spread amongst the other teams. And only with testing the Astana crew was there a delay.

Both this 55 min delay and the 15 min delay in the testing of Astana after the TTT I read of in a German-language report but off-hand I can’t recall the website. The 15 min delay was mentioned as yet another example where the testers hadn’t been firm with Astana. The web report said it was journalists from the French RTL who found out the details, after Bordry first made his vague statements about indulgence.
  • knedlicky wrote:
    I’ve been off the forum almost 24 hours so couldn’t help with links, but surely you’ve seen the 55 min delay story somewhere today, now it’s become more public?
    That's the thing, rather than becoming more public the story seems to have been more or less buried. A search did find the German language report below, but apart from a few relatively obscure sources reporting on Bordry's comments (such as the earthtimes) there seems to be little else. (And just look at Ian's original story. Is it not surprising that the Reuters report on Bordry's comments comes from the Indian branch of Reuters? Just try doing an advanced Google search for the exact content of that story and it appears that it was not carried anywhere else).

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/0,1518,636084,00.html

Once again it seems as though the 'major' cycling new sources are aiding and abetting the Armstrong PR machine by ignoring or not making too much of such potentially damming stories.

Similarly, I can't help but wonder at Astana's policy of turning up late for stage starts, signing on practically as the peleton is about to set off. What better tactic to stall any attempts by the AFLD to exercise their right to conduct a supplementary dope test just before a stage start, and as we all know that is exactly the time riders should be tested if they are going to be caught out blood doping and so on.
  • iainf72
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited July 2009
    iainf72 wrote:
    Perhaps due to her intervention even the mainstream cycling media are now reporting on it. Almost a week late, but better late than never.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/t ... e-12-22430
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Inexcusable behaviour by the drug testers... A coffee FFS
  • Even the Telegraph has picked it up now. Interesting to see how they are drawing a contrast between last years Tour where the testing was done by the AFLD and turned up 7 positives and the situation this year. One might be excused for thinking that the cosy relationship between the UCI and Armstrong/ Astana is all part of a deliberate policy to not find any riders positive during this years Tour, at least not any riders from Astana!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... dance.html
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The UCI and AFLD are working together, so Hein Verbruggen can lurk in the shadows as much as he likes but Bordry will call out anything suspicious.

Especially since the French Health & Sports minister is on the case now, there will be little margin for error on all sides.
  • Thankyou Kleber, that makes me feel better (no sarcasm)
    Dan
  • iainf72
    Pierre and Bobby have footage of a recent exchange which they're just clearing with the lawyers for broadcasting. Hopefully this evening it will air...
  • iainf72
    Some genius comments from Armstrong here

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... ions-22444
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    "I would put our biological passports side-by-side with any other team, every day of the week." - Armstrong

Go on then, publish them!

But I won't hold my breath. Last year we were promised an explanation on Damsgaard's work with Astana, just as he did with CSC-Saxo, but this never happened. The closest we got was the news of Gusev's sacking, something which the Russian has recently won a court case for wrongful dismissal.

Astana were banned from riding the 2007 Tour given their extensive links to doping. Things have changed on the team but the current roster in the Tour is chock full of people who have been linked to Ferrari, Fuentes and Freiburg. No wonder they are being tested a lot.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Kléber wrote:
    "I would put our biological passports side-by-side with any other team, every day of the week." - Armstrong

Go on then, publish them!.
    +1.

You could have also put in this comment he made immediately before:

"We are never tested positive"

But are they CLEAN? I really wish they were. If so, why can't they say it? It reminds me of felons who escape a conviction and don't proclaim innocence, just that they weren't found guilty.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.