Riding in the Southeast

LarJones
LarJones Posts: 88
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Alright guys,

I've just recently moved to london and need to get out on my bike out of the city this weekend!

So i'm looking for places to ride within a 2 hour drive or so from london. To give you an idea of what kind of riding i'm into, trail centres such as brechfa are pretty much my ideal, decent length route with fun trails.

Any advice much appreciated, and if anyone fancies a ride this saturday would be good to meet some others.

Comments

• Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    Swinley Forest is ok for a blast, some very nice singletrack over there. You'd be best off having a guide though.

Surrey Hills - Leith, Pitch and Holmbury Hill are very good (Probably the best riding in the SE imo). Again, you'll need a guide to get the best out of it though.

Aparently the Chilterns are ok too, i've only ever ridden Aston Hill down that way though, so can't really comment.

I have had some very good riding memories over Swinley and the Surrey Hills 8)
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Another vote for the Surrey Hills here, too! You may need a local to show you the best stuff, or Nirvana Cycles do some guided rides and route maps.
  • LarJones
    Ideal cheers guys, anyone who knows the area fancy a ride on saturday?
  • Fully
    LarJones, have a look HERE. I rode with a few of these guys a few years ago. They know the area very well and are also a good bunch. Some of them are bound to be riding Swinley or the Surrey Hills this weekend. Failing that, try STW, i think that there's quite a few Surrey Hills riders on there.

Of course i'd join you myself, but it's a bit of a trek :wink: .
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • LarJones
    No worries, cheers for the info, looking foward to a good blat in the woods.
  • WildfireS3
    WildfireS3 Posts: 25
    I'd be up for a ride most Saturdays and Sundays, just can't do this one. I'm just getting back into biking so could do with a riding partner to train with and find out some good routes. Drop me a line if you're planning anything later on.
    Always Aim For Puddles
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I went to Swinley last night and it was fantastic.

I have heard (never been) that Swinley can get very busy at the weekends.
  • LarJones
    Wildfire - I'd be fairly keen for getting out most weekends, along with a friend from work i think so drop us an email or message something when you fancy it.

I'l be giving swinly a go on saturday, if it's crowded i shall have to deal with it i guess!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    +1 for Surrey & Swinley :D

Have a look here for info about loads of our favourite riding haunts in and around the SouthEast :wink:

You're more than welcome to come say 'Hi' if you see us out and about.
  • Superowl17
    Superowl17 Posts: 60
    Swinley is brill. need to look for the good techy DH stuff, but single track simple to find. Leith Hill is brill also. there every week, new trail every time I go. I'm there most sat/sun and after work in week if you up a blast
    superowl17..**
  • LarJones
    Cheers for the info guys, headed to swinley on saturday and found some pretty cracking trails, was real good, until we decided to call it a day and didn't know where we were! Was all good though.

Will be looking to explore other spots, leith hill seems to have cropped up a few times so shall be sure to check that out soon, i'l give you guys a shout probably.
  • paul_k
    paul_k Posts: 132
    Where in London do you live? i live in Ealing
    Swinley is good, you should also try out PORC and Aston Hill.
  • vrapan
    vrapan Posts: 4
    I live around Watford would any of you would like to let me tag along for some mtbing in Surrey? Can normally make saturdays and/or sundays!
  • paul_k
    vrapan wrote:
    I live around Watford would any of you would like to let me tag along for some mtbing in Surrey? Can normally make saturdays and/or sundays!

What type of riding do you do?
  • vrapan
    paul_k wrote:
    vrapan wrote:

I am a newbie really, prefer single track to deep drops or hard core MTBing but did Permancho and Marin trails in Wales a couple months ago and loved it.

I have been looking for people to explore the Chilterns with but without much success so I am hoping to find a couple of buddies to ride with elsewhere.
  • paul_k
    vrapan wrote:
    paul_k wrote:
    vrapan wrote:

I am a newbie really, prefer single track to deep drops or hard core MTBing but did Permancho and Marin trails in Wales a couple months ago and loved it.

I have been looking for people to explore the Chilterns with but without much success so I am hoping to find a couple of buddies to ride with elsewhere.

I only really ride Aston Hill in that area. Ill give you a shout next time we are going swinley or aston etc
  • vrapan
    That would be very cool Paul! Thanks
  • Helen-mtb
    Helen-mtb Posts: 112
    oooo!

i was thinking about heading up to swinley at some point... i's still a beginner though i would say. Ideal place to find something new and different to improve on?

How do you go about getting a guide? and do you get the permit things when you are there on the day?
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    yep something for everyone at Swinley if you know where to look.
  • LarJones
    Alright guys, to who asked i live in leyton, near stratford, which is a pretty dull part of london but convenient for work, so it'l do for now.

Been to swinley past couple of weekends and enjoyed it, thinking of trying somewhere different this sunday, leith hill or aston.

Am i right in thinking guides are required to get the most out of these places? Also, hints on where they are? Anyone up for a ride sunday to meet around 11/12ish probs give us a shout, i expect we'll be going to explore somewhere either way!
  • Fully

A Few Pics
  • paul_k
    They don't check the permit thing at all. i tbh do get it but not all the time every now and then since its not fair to avoid it all the time plus i make donations to it some times is well so it makes up. Find someone there and ask them to come along everyone is super friendly.
    When are you looking to head up if i m there i don't mind helping you.
  • Helen-mtb
    Helen-mtb Posts: 112
    Probably not until winter now... need to start getting back on my bike properly first. ive only been riding a year but on and off. want to give myself a chance to get into prperly again :)

my frined and i would need some sort of guide so that would be a great help! be warned, im still slow on a lot of uphill! my legs often surprise me though! lol!
  • LarJones wrote:
    Alright guys, to who asked i live in leyton, near stratford, which is a pretty dull part of london but convenient for work, so it'l do for now.

Ha ha, not too far from us! East London is OK, not as bad as everyone thinks...for MTBing, if you don't want to travel too far away, pop over to Wanstead, you can cycle from the Green Man Roundabout onto Leyton flats (not sure that's what it's called, anyway the old gravel pits btwn Whipps Cross Rd and Hollybush Hill), then you can cycle through forests all the way to Epping Forest...just basically head north and you can't go far wrong (see satellite images on google maps)...When you go under the A406, turn left under the A104 otherwise you will miss the forest and end up on the A104.

Alternatively, take the tube to Epping forest (theydon bois/loughton), you're allowed non-peak on the overground bit without having to wrap it up in parcel-form :D

We're only just getting into MTBing but will probably get to know the area quite well, because we stupidly bought a sports car without thinking about it's inability to carrying bikes....oops :oops: Will let you know if we find any good bits!
  • LEYTON??

Ha ha, not too far from us! East London is OK, not as bad as everyone thinks...for MTBing, if you don't want to travel too far away, pop over to Wanstead, you can cycle from the Green Man Roundabout onto Leyton flats (not sure that's what it's called, anyway the old gravel pits btwn Whipps Cross Rd and Hollybush Hill), then you can cycle through forests all the way to Epping Forest...just basically head north and you can't go far wrong (see satellite images on google maps)...When you go under the A406, turn left under the A104 otherwise you will miss the forest and end up on the A104.

Alternatively, take the tube to Epping forest (theydon bois/loughton), you're allowed non-peak on the overground bit without having to wrap it up in parcel-form :D

We're only just getting into MTBing but will probably get to know the area quite well, because we stupidly bought a sports car without thinking about it's inability to carrying bikes....oops :oops: Will let you know if we find any good bits!
  • Any of you guys fancy riding Swinley tomorrow (9th)? I ride there quite alot, but don't know many people that ride down here as i'm mostly away at uni.
  • annamal
    annamal Posts: 3
    WildfireS3
    Hey Wildfire
    What standard are you? I've got general fitness but not skill on MTB. I just posted that I was looking to ride with people, are you interested at all?
    Thanks, ANna