Front Wheel Wobble

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Sunday I rode my bike, I could feel the wheel pulling from side to side.

Today I packed the bike in the car, took it to a bike shop, put the wheel back from from having it in the car and it cycled fine.

This evening I took it out for a spin, it was ok at first then after I cycled hard down a hill it started to wobble again.

I let some air out the tyre, though I don't believe they are over inflated, but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas, thanks?

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Is the tyre sitting square, and even on the rim itself? And the rim is straight and true? No buckles?

How is the axle in the hub? It should have NO lateral play, at all. If there is any, it's too much. And finally, might sound daft, but are you securing the wheel in the drop-outs correctly? The axle all the way 'home', and QR skewer done up correctly, and tightly...?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • dancook
    :) Don't worry about daft suggestions, I'm sure it's all relevant for me.

I'm going to check the things you mentioned.

Axle in the hub? um is that the allen bolt in top of the headset? I don't know the terms.

oh and thanks. :)
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Ok, turn the bike upside down (it's easier - no other reason!). Make sure the wheel is fitted correctly. Ensure it is, then twist and shake it from side-to-side, like the action of steering, but making sure the handlebars DON'T move! (I suggest standing on the grips).

If there is any play, other than the fork twisting slightly, then the bearings inside the hub need to be adjusted.

And FYI, the hub is the bit in the middle of the wheel, where all the spokes hand out of! The axle is the metal bar that goes through the middle, and spins on bearings. It it secured by 'pinching' the fork legs together.

Geddit..? 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    Does it only happen when you are descending at speed ? Are you gripping the handlebar very hard for fear of life :D ?

Not suggesting its none of the above, but you could also be experiencing a Shimmy !!
    exercise.png
  • dancook
    Sorry for late reply,

I was bringing the bike up the flat, got it in the life and dropped my keys down a gap between the floor and elevator.

So good bye bunch of keys.....

Had to go and catch the girlfriend from after work before she goes to her volunteer group, which I don't know where it is!

I noticed with my wobbly tyre, after checking the wheel was on properly etc.. it seemed ok.. I then travelled at slow speed and twisted the handle bars left and rightly sharpley. This caused the wobbling to come back.

I will get the bike upside down and check some more.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    is the quick release tight? someone i used to work with used to tighten his wheel up by just turning the quick release lever round till it was tight, he didnt realise the lever had to be closed.
    who cares?
  • dancook
    Hi, Yes the quick release is tight.
  • dancook
    Andrenaline rush! I have not yet sourced the problem of the wobbly tyre.. but I managed to fish my keys with two radiators dryer hangers attached together with sellotape

http://bristol.gumtree.com/posting_imag ... _big__.jpg

Using my high powered bike light to the way...

Now when I spin my wheel, I think it moves as though it was buckled...
  • dancook
    I've uploaded a video i took on my phone, now I think i can see it wobble.. but maybe i'm driving myself mad

http://download234.mediafire.com/v4w2wj ... ewheel.MP4

I also took a moment to videos the hook and my set of keys :) safely back in my possession.
  • dancook
    If there is any play, other than the fork twisting slightly, then the bearings inside the hub need to be adjusted.

And FYI, the hub is the bit in the middle of the wheel, where all the spokes hand out of! The axle is the metal bar that goes through the middle, and spins on bearings. It it secured by 'pinching' the fork legs together.

Geddit..? 8)

I'm beginng to think this is the only thing left...

As when after a few times of putting the wheel on and off, and spinning it.. I now noticed as it's spinning, where I assume it's rubbing on the brake pad it's consistently making a sound on and off like it's rubbing whilst it gets closer, then further away.

I can't see what I need to adjust, there doesn't seem to be much about the hub.. it looks pretty much solid with a hole through the middle.
  • dancook
    Ok from Wiki I have seen a break down of the hub

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/M ... king_a_hub

I turned the end cap, and i can see the rubber creating a gap as it goes around the closing again..so it definately looks like it's the hub.
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    You might be better off taking it to your LBS.
  • dancook
    You might be better off taking it to your LBS.

Quote for truth :)

I loosened the allen bolt in the top of the headset and I think it might be better now... time will tell.

Unfortunately the LBS's are all booked up for the next 3 weeks at least... maybe I'll just book a service to get my bike checked out from top to bottom.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    loosening the bolt on top of your headset will adjust the headset, not the wheel :lol: , and when the wheel was moving side to side, were you riding with the bike at a slanted angle?
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    To adjust the headset you ened to loosen the stem bolts first. Basically loosening the top bolt first does nothing.