Starting TT.

free
free Posts: 567
edited July 2009 in Amateur race
Hi guys,

I've done a bit of everything at some point in my life when it comes to bikes -Downhill, dirt jumping, XC etc.

But i've just recently got into road riding. I got myself a Focus Road bike and I'm absolutely loving every minute of it.

I've tried to vary my riding. I do two 30 mile rides a week and 3 10-15 mile rides a week.

As much as I enjoy the long hauls I really look forward to the shorter rides and giving it as much as I can for the full ride. I guess the adrenelin from the speed pushes me beyond my limits.

Anyway, I really want to get into TT as a result. My plan is to get bike fit this year and make a go of TT next year.

I live in the Northants area and I just wanted some advice on how I would get into competetive TT racing. How do I get started, what do I need (other than a TT bike of course) what licence do I need, Are there any TT clubs in the Northants area etc?

Any help is much appreciated.
Think first.
Then act.
That\'s it.
My 3 point plan.
A.partridge. 1997.

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    To try a club evening TT, you don't need to be a member of a club. You can get a list of clubs in your area by looking at the CTT website.

If you want to event Open events, then you need to join an affliated club, again the CTT website lists the clubs affliated to CTT.

You don't need to wait until next year, you will get such a huge range of times in a 10m TT, you would probably slot in around the middle. The target is to better your times, and not worry too much on other peoples times.

You don't need a TT bike, a normal road bike is fine (as it a MTB), and you don't need a racing license for TT's.
  • free
    free Posts: 567
    SBezza wrote:
    To try a club evening TT, you don't need to be a member of a club. You can get a list of clubs in your area by looking at the CTT website.

If you want to event Open events, then you need to join an affliated club, again the CTT website lists the clubs affliated to CTT.

You don't need to wait until next year, you will get such a huge range of times in a 10m TT, you would probably slot in around the middle. The target is to better your times, and not worry too much on other peoples times.

You don't need a TT bike, a normal road bike is fine (as it a MTB), and you don't need a racing license for TT's.

Thanks for the advice.

It's good to know I can try out this sport without a TT bike.

Thanks again.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I thought I had read that you can join the CTT "club" and ride open events, if you didn't want to join an affiliated club??
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Don't wait. Get out and ride a TT as soon as you can. Best way to see where you are and to see what you need to do to improve.

Most people in my old club don't use TT bikes - just get on your road bike and haul ass.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    SheffSimon wrote:
    I thought I had read that you can join the CTT "club" and ride open events, if you didn't want to join an affiliated club??

You can join the CTT Headquarters club on a temp basis, but they do try and get you to join a club. To be honest if you join a club where alot of the members TT, then it is a good thing IMO, if you do local events, you will get to know the same people, so it is very social as well.