Pedal Advice

A Load Of Bull
A Load Of Bull Posts: 29
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi

This is probably a stupid question, but...

I'm primarily a roadie, but I also own a '08 Trek 6500 which I've used to do a bit of XC and "Adventure Series" type riding on. It also doubles up as a "family" bike - when we go camping & at the weekends, the wife and I take the kids out on "Tag-a-longs"...

Last week I was introduced to some awesome off-road routes near to work, the like of which I've never ridden before. This is great for nipping out from work at lunchtime and I want to do a lot more... however...

I currently use flat pedals and for this type of terrain I need a more stable platform - my feet were bouncing all over the place, I couldn't go fast enough and it felt quite dangerous at times. So I want some proper clip-ins... but, I will still need to use the bike for the family stuff too.

So - I think I need a pair of these ... http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SHIMPEDM220000000000 - enabling me to buy a pair of spd shoes for off road use and still be able to use my trainers when I'm mooching around the New Forest with the family.

Alternatively - are there MTB shoes that you can buy that you can walk normally on whilst off the bike...? I'd actually to buy a pair of Shimano M770XT's, but I can't be bothered to keep changing the pedals every time I go out with the kids...?

Comments

• myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    I use SPD pedals for mountain biking and road use, and I use a pair of MTB shoes for both. The pedals you are loking at are a good compromise though and I know a few people who have happily gone down this route.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you don't need spds (clip-ins) for any type of riding.
    In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that if you're being thrown all over the place on flat pedals, then you need to learn how to absorb the impacts - or with SPDs you might end up crashing badly.

Seriously, learn how to ride properly before attatching yourself to the bike.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Alternatively - are there MTB shoes that you can buy that you can walk normally on whilst off the bike...?
    I have some MP66s with SH56 multi-release cleats and XTR SPDs with the tension cranked up to max - the closest thing I've found to 'electromagnetic' pedals. Initial step-in is really positive and the shoes don't disengage when pulling up but it's easy to get out in 'panic mode'. The MP66s have a big, stable soles but the uppers have some flex in them which makes them easier on the knees than a race shoe would be with the same setup.

The MP66s are comfy for walking in providing you can live with the looks :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Look, have you guys missed the fact that he can't keep his feet on his pedals over rough terrain?
    And you're STILL offering advice about what clip-ins to use?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I wonder what flat you have on your current bikes because decent flats grip very well indeed.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd say grab some mg-1 and try and absorb more bump through your ankles. From the sounds of things, clipping in for you is a disaster waiting to happen!

The wellgo mg-1's are really grippy with a decent pair of shoes (i tend to use merrells)
  • Hmmm... maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

On the really rough stuff and descents, I'm fine with flats. However, there are some long straight-ish drags where the surface is very uneven. Nothing technical, just a gradual incline and I'm trying to go up it as quickly as I can. So, as I was trying to put the power down the bike was bouncing a fair bit and that made it hard to keep the pedal in the right spot under my foot, and keep going hard.

I often found myself cycling with the pedal under my heel... If there is a technique that enables you to ride flat out on an uneven surface without your feet being prone to moving around, I'd appreciate the advice?
  • griffter18
    griffter18 Posts: 53
    Ive used clipless for while an found my small pedals a bit troublesome geting clipped back in and wanting to get the power down quickly ie when exiting a tight but fast burm.
    I switched to the DX;s you mention and the platform gives a good solid surface to put you foot on before you clip in. Clipin is easy and positive.
    Supprised at the price as well as everywhere else they ar running at £70

Takle your time, check your release and built up slowly.
    Specialized Enduro 2010 -custom
    Specialized Stumpjumper Elite 2009
    Specialized Hotwalker - start them young

Jamis Xenith Comp - Road
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm... maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

On the really rough stuff and descents, I'm fine with flats. However, there are some long straight-ish drags where the surface is very uneven. Nothing technical, just a gradual incline and I'm trying to go up it as quickly as I can. So, as I was trying to put the power down the bike was bouncing a fair bit and that made it hard to keep the pedal in the right spot under my foot, and keep going hard.

I often found myself cycling with the pedal under my heel... If there is a technique that enables you to ride flat out on an uneven surface without your feet being prone to moving around, I'd appreciate the advice?
    You just have to learn to "go woth the flow". Kinda like surfing, you use your legs as suspension. It's not a "knack" as such, it's just one of the fundamentals of mountain biking.
  • Daz555
    What pedals do you have now?
  • grudfuttle
    grudfuttle Posts: 40
    I had the same problem with my flat peddles, I struggling to keep my feet on the peddles when careering over hard, dry rutted surfaces until I discovered I had way too much air in the tyres. I halved the tyre pressures and now it's much easier to stay on the bike.

grudfuttle
  • What pedals do you have now?

Just the standard aluminium flats that came with the bike.

I do suspect that my tyre pressures are too high. They were at 65psi, judging by comments on this and other threads that's too much.

I guess that's one of the hazards of moving from road to off road :)
  • Daz555
    Just the standard aluminium flats that came with the bike.
    Don't know your particular bike but they could well just be crap. I know the ones that came on my Specialized were basically throw-away pedals.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    I reckon go with a decent set of flats for now and see how things come along. Even if you go clipless later, you'll still need a decent set of flats for the family outings and as I found out recently, changing pedals is dead easy.

+1 for Wellgo MG-1's. Work well even with trainers :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Thanks all for the suggestions.

I've decided to go with the DX's. That way I can still use my trainers when I'm "family riding" and I can try out SPD's...

I hear what you're saying about getting a decent pair of flats - the one's supplied with the bike aren't great, though they are much better than the plastic ones that came with the other half's Spesh - but I am used to being able to pull up a little on the pedals on the road bike and I want to be able to do that sometimes on the MTB.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    To the OP, I had the feet-slipping-off-pedal syndrome. Are you using running / sports trainers? These don't grip well on flats AT ALL.

Try some flat-sole trainers, with soft soles. Skate shoes are good, or the MTB specific flats from Marzocchi...

Untill you can keep attatched to the bike, and absorb the shocks from the trail, don't go clipped in!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke