Your Fav Tour Pic ?

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited November 2009 in Pro race
Ok seeing as its a rest day and to get some respite from LA v Bertie what is your fav tour pic and why ? here is mine a classic featuring two of the greats sharing a bottle on the Izoard

coppi+bartali+flask+pass.jpg

and afterwards disagree about who offered it to who . They just dont make rivalries like these two had going indeed some say it still splits the tifosi even today.
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• Talking of rivalries, this is a classic shot of France's two great hero's. This photo sums up there determination and will to beat each other in the Tour........

Anquetil_J18cut.jpg

I also love this photo simply because it depicts cycling in a completely different era to where we are now....

vint-smoke.jpg
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • moray_gub
    Two great pix there if only Poulidor had known how much Anqutiel was huring there he may have attacked earlier and he may have won the Tour and that 2nd one is a superb having a puff on the move :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    I wasn't around to follow the classic Tours of old so will only contribute recent photos.

Chavanel and Roy's breakaway on Stage 19 of 2008. The faces say it all.

Highlights here: http://www.steephill.tv/players/velonew ... 08&id=2331

Luis Leon Sanchez on Stage 7 of 2008. Not only was it a great move by him and it was very close, it was pretty emotional knowing the story of his brother who died in a quad bike accident.

Last 10k: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7VUG5xcpY

This move by Casar has to be one of my favourites in the Tour 07. After having a bad crash with a dog he made a clever move towards the end and was able to hold out. I saw a video once with his director sportif as the sound and it was emotional stuff.

The crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBD1oLKpQ4
    The move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQZgNk_kPM
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    This I like a lot, not so much for the photo but because the video is very motivational.

Video part 1 (kicks in about 1.50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jc70TeXr3s
    Video part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZywOVWmcnrQ

virenque-ventoux2.jpg

The entire climb is here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... ue+ventoux

I hope the Ventoux this year produces something special.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Quite simply a wonderful photo:

taste91-millar.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Ok seeing as its a rest day and to get some respite from LA v Bertie what is your fav tour pic and why ? here is mine a classic featuring two of the greats sharing a bottle on the Izoard

coppi+bartali+flask+pass.jpg

and afterwards disagree about who offered it to who . They just dont make rivalries like these two had going indeed some say it still splits the tifosi even today.

Great topic and a great photo Moray.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The picture of Poulidor and Anquetil is an absolute classic. Two giants going shoulder to shoulder. Talk about good timing.

Wim Van Est

In 1951 Wim Van Est became the first Dutchman to wear the yellow jersey in the Tour de France. Van Est was a good rouleur, but had little experience over the high mountains. On his first day in yellow, Van Est was descending the Col d'Aubisque when his front tyre blew, sending him plummeting into a 60 metre ravine. Somehow, he escaped any serious injuries, but was understandably distraught:

wimvanestpontiac.jpg

Seeing him sitting at the bottom of the ravine in his yellow jersey, one of his teammates described him as a "buttercup in the grass".

In order to get Van Est back on to the road, the team mechanics and support staff made a rope out of tubular tyres and hauled him back up:

Van-Est-pulled-up-credit.jpg

Although Van Est went on to have a good career, wearing the yellow jersey on a number of further occasions, he was always remembered for that one fall. In 2001 a plaque was placed on the Aubisque to mark the spot where he fell. You can see for yourself what it meant:

wimvanest.jpg
  • what a cracking story !
  • moray_gub
    Great story that afx thankfully it had a good ending unlike the Roger Riviere story he also plunged into a ravine on the Col de Perjureand never walked again after breaking his back and died quite young afew years later from cancer . When he fell he was world hour recored holder and was poised to take the race lead from Gastone Nencini

perjuretblog3.jpg

180px-A_la_memoire_de_Roger_Riviere_2.JPG
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    Jan Ullrich after his crash on the TT, 2003. His face is anguished, but he's still giving everything.
    jan.jpg
    FCN 1
  • procarbon
    procarbon Posts: 62
    nugget-thumb.jpg
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    edited July 2009
    I love any of the old black & white Tour photos, but my favourite of the lot is Anquetil and Poulidor on the Puy de Dome, 1964

Anquetil_J18%20cut.jpg

EDIT - didn't spot it was posted already, but it's still my fave :P

but here's a different one anyway:

45a.jpg

Le Grand Depart, 1903
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Talking of rivalries, this is a classic shot of France's two great hero's. This photo sums up there determination and will to beat each other in the Tour........

Anquetil_J18cut.jpg

I also love this photo simply because it depicts cycling in a completely different era to where we are now....

vint-smoke.jpg

I really want this smoker pic as a print. I know you can get it but i can't seem to find it. Any ideas peeps??
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting...this was taken in 2009 and was a direct attempt to copy the scene in the photo.

4860_111337946160_682076160_2488649_7726222_n.jpg

This is one print I know of, but it is a US company...http://www.worldcycling.com/SMOKERS-POS ... o/PSTP310/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Talking of rivalries, this is a classic shot of France's two great hero's. This photo sums up there determination and will to beat each other in the Tour........

Anquetil_J18cut.jpg

vint-smoke.jpg

I really want this smoker pic as a print. I know you can get it but i can't seem to find it. Any ideas peeps??

https://www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/Smoker ... 90763_.htm
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    1247513556961-1dqdf1pvm3fsx-798-75.jpg

This is on Bikeradar's homepage now, not a classic, but I love it.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    You can take the Italian out of Italy but...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Awesome thanx Timoid!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    chewie-tour-de-france.jpg
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    This is my favourite.

Its an amateur snap taken by the redoubtable Austin of the Roquefort cycle lodge near Massat.

tdf+picture.jpg

(Bigger image here: http://mr-miff-on-tour.blogspot.com/2007/10/i-saw-this-picture-hanging-on-wall-of.html

Reasons are

- It's just a great cycling picture. The riders are neatly framed by the motor bike on the right and the fans on the left. Most of the movement is coming from the fans who are all in motion while the riders, in contradiction to the reality, look static. But because of this the picture appears to almost be in 3D with the riders coming out of the middle of the picture.

- Secondly in the context of the 2005 tour. Examine the faces of the riders. Even if you know nothing of cycling or cyclists one face stands out, with an expression of steel hard focus while all around other faces show signs of effort and exertion. The face is of course that of the rider in yellow and goes some way to explain why he is on his way to winning his 7th victory in a row.
    - Thirdly in the context of later tours. The other recognisable riders in the picture are Kloden, Ulrich, Mayo, Landis, Leipheimer, Vinokorov and (I think right at the back) Rasmussen. So with the exception of Kloden/Leipheimer, you have a pretty full house of disgraced big names 2006/2007 and so the picture is a slice of history.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    AndyRubio wrote:
    badger.Teaser.jpg

:D
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    procarbon wrote:
    nugget-thumb.jpg

......................................... Texan Longhorns again.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    markos1963 wrote:
    Showing us all how its done
    MerckxAug9_1969_sm.jpg

....................................Good god, Their Racing arn't they. !
    ....................................Havn't seen that in a long while
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • n861435166_1209064_6721.jpg
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    n861435166_1209064_6721.jpg

Poor Ulle. We all know what this picture signifies, but my guess is he's stored his gilet/arm warmers whatever down there.
  • marco_pantani_bici2.jpg

you can see the emotion and what it meant so much in this one, made famous of course later for matt rendalls book
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    terongi wrote:
    n861435166_1209064_6721.jpg

Poor Ulle. We all know what this picture signifies, but my guess is he's stored his gilet/arm warmers whatever down there.

Err, I think not, otherwise it's be in his jersey pockets. That, I'm afraid looks suspiciously like lard.