*Spoilers* The action today.

naive
naive Posts: 47
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Once again, it looks like the Tour organizers have taken the teeth out of today's early climb--even if it is a mammoth 30,000ft or so--by following it with a very long flat and that fast descent so anyone who gets dropped will have a chance to catch up.

I have a feeling that one of the Shleck's or even Contador might try to steal a jump on the main group by reacting quickly when the "Fasten Seatbelts" sign goes off, but Armstrong has the experience to get in the right line and passport control, which might give him the advantage.

HTC could get organised with the trollies and force the pace a bit across the smooth stuff if Cav hasn't been left behind, which might spread the field.

At the final run-in, the Astana bus is very well organized, and Armstrong and Contador are likely to put their differences aside and sit at the back while the domestics go to the front.

Overall, I don't think there are going to be any major changes in the GC order unless someone has a bad fall and has to drop out.

They might as well not bother with stages like this, and just have a rest or something!

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    At least Cancellara won't have to descend like a loon to catch up after he goes to the back for a toilet break.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Gotta watch out for the breakaway which is likely to come while the pelotondawdles around duty free, but chances are they'll reel them in at baggage collection.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I always felt that they should turn transfer / rest days into part of the competition:
    Bonus points for the first bus driver to tomorrow's depart?
    Time bonuses for first team to collect all their baggage from the carousel?
    Penalties for failing to get all the bikes washed?
    Mountain points for conjugal services?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Sorry to be a spoiler, but the riders flew to Limoges after yesterday's stage.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    andyp wrote:
    Sorry to be a spoiler, but the riders flew to Limoges after yesterday's stage.

Indeed. Mark Renshaw's Twitter has an ace pic of some of the columbia riders an Astana rider and Armstrong walking across a motorway junction having taken a wrong turn.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent