Who's Doing The Work

Allez Mark
Allez Mark Posts: 364
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Just a quick question.
In a breakaway group the riders take turns on the front. This also seems to happen in the chasing peleton. The commentators seem to suggest that the rider on the front is working harder than the rest but surely they are all going the same speed. Even in a two man group, if one rider sits in behind the other for a long time its assumed he hasn't worked as hard.
Is it not just psychological.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Have you ever ridden behind a bus? You can get caught up in the slipstream of the bus and go faster. The same happens in bike racing, being in the draft of another saves plenty of energy and it's the basic determinant of road race tactics.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    drafting my G/F yesterday I could freewheel for a good proportion of the time whilst she did all the work - she's afraid of drafting me, her loss :lol:
  • alfablue wrote:
    drafting my G/F yesterday I could freewheel for a good proportion of the time whilst she did all the work - she's afraid of drafting me, her loss :lol:

...oir maybe she doesnt want to sit and stare at your bum for ages?? :D:D
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    alfablue wrote:

...oir maybe she doesnt want to sit and stare at your bum for ages?? :D:D
    Yes, that could be where the fear comes from :oops:
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    I remember my first few races where i just sat in the bunch and hardly turned a pedal as You just get sucked along with the riders in front. could easily of ridden the full distance again.

BUT, as soon as you take the front you realise just how hard you have to work and to be able to stay in front for any length of time soon eats up your energy.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'