Hertfordshire to Lake District - Route advice needed

MarkMcp
MarkMcp Posts: 426
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi there,

Instead of jumping into the car like the last few years to get to the Lake District, I thought it would be a nice idea to cycle there. Living in deepest Central London I would get the train to Cheshunt on the Friday lunchtime and hopefully do approx 80 miles before stopping and then try to do two days of 110 miles on Saturday and Sunday. Any tips on a decent quiet, and not too hilly route and good B&B's to stop off at would be appreciated. Final destination is Motherby. I'll get hold of a couple of OS maps but just wondered if anyone here has any route tips.

I can handle long distance riding, but I'm hoping to do this on my road bike with just a small Camelbak to pack a change of clothes, tools, etc.

All tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd recommend you use a website like bikehike.co.uk to plan a route. Much easier than phaffing about with OS maps and the follow road option makes it very quick.

As for routes, I'm only familiar with the nrothern bit. If you want a nice easy route then join the A6 at Preston and follow to (almost) Penrith. Its not exactly scenic (with the expeception of Shap fell), but its mostly flat and easy to navigate. If you want a more interesting and scenice route then keep east of Manchester (through the weatern edge of the Peak District), through Hebden Bridge, Slaidburn, Kirby Lonsdale, then either join the A6 in Kendal or keep east still and head through Tebay, Orton, Crosby Ravensworth, etc.

I know what I'd choose....
    More problems but still living....
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I regularly ride the Preston To South Lakes leg of the journey and have various routes in particular one that takes in mainly quiet back roads and decent scenery, not as easy or direct as the A6 but much more fun and avoids any of the harder climbs on the way up. If you think it may be of interest I can help with that part of the route.
  • MarkMcp
    MarkMcp Posts: 426
    That sounds great Solis
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Mark, If you want to PM me an e-mail address I will scan a basic map in and send or if you prefer I can just list place names on the forum and you can plot a route accordingly.