Phil and Friends

bs147
bs147 Posts: 164
I was thinking about doing this - it's a couple of weeks away. Has anyone else done it before? Was it a good route?

Comments

• garmin
    garmin Posts: 31
    I have done both routes twice.plenty of climbing on both.They both go up holme moss,and chunley head[not steep,just a long drag] then over mam tor before dropping down to edale.At hope the 150km route takes you back to castleton and up Winnats pass,and monsal head.then its a drag from bamford to hollow meadows,before a steep climb back up to stanington.plenty of other hills inbetween the main ones. hope to do the 150km again this year.
    Litespeed Vela
    Dawes giro 400 [winter bike]
    Diamondback S3 full sus

no pain no gain.
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I'll be looking to do the 150km route - I've found a map of the route on the Bikely website.
  • garmin
    If you pm me your email address,i can email you the directons and profile of both routes
    Litespeed Vela
    Diamondback S3 full sus

no pain no gain.
  • snaffledog
    snaffledog Posts: 53
    hi . did the 150km last year , lots of climbing. It was my first long hilly challenge ride. Weather was a mix of pea-soup for the first half and rain for the second half, which was a shame, because otherwise it would be a beautiful ride.

It is a self-led ride (think will be the same this year) , ie. no signage, just a route sheet to refer to, I am fairly local so not such an issue.

It clashes with the Pendle Pedal this year so not sure on attendance, I cant make it as going on hols down on the south coast.

Some steep climbs that you need to have sufficient gearing for (34x27 advisable), Thorpes Brow after about 10 miles is a 1km climb with sections of solid 20%+ at the start, then obviously the famous (infamous) Winnats pass on the full-fat route, sustained 20% section, brutal if the wind is funnelling down the gorge.
  • garmin
    Its always been a self-led ride. i think they have moved the start again though this year,
    attendance wise theres useally a couple of hundred riders,so its not a problem to get
    into a group of some sort for most of the ride.last year i rode to glossop mainly on my own .Then met up with a local club from were i live,made the second half a lot easyer.
    have got round on a standerd 53/39 12/28,but was hard work,used a triple last year,as i will again this.I do most of the route every 5/6 weeks when i ride over to Manchester and back.[ my sons at uni ] makes a great training ride.
    Litespeed Vela
    Diamondback S3 full sus

no pain no gain.