T de F former winners race ?

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited July 2009 in Pro race
The other day on Eurosports Tour coverage there was a short outtake and i saw a short preview of a race with former Tour winners . Does anyone know what race it was ? I saw Hinault and Merckx and others all in the same team jersey .? it may be an annual charity race ?
Has anyone got a link please . ?

Comments

• GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Think it will have been the Monaco Criterium, that took place last Saturday morning (or maybe Friday, not sure). In aid of a childrens charity of Prince Albert (?) of Monaco.

Wasn't just former champions though - Bettini, Zabel, Andrea Peron, Virenque, Riis, Merckx, Hinault, Savoldelli, Roche, Kelly all amongst the riders. I'd be interested if anyone had a fuller list.

Unsurprisingly, Zabel outsprinted Peron from a two man break.
  • peanut
    excellent thanks yes come to think of it I think it may have been yesterday .i thought it was Friday . thanks :wink:
  • peanut
    I still can't find any trace of the race on the net :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A short set of highlights was shown on ITV4.

Merckx even attacked at one point...
  • peanut
    any idea which day ? I could watch it on ITV4 iplayer
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    i watched it when i was over on the Cote last week .The race was on Friday 3rd, was like a who's who of cycling. Was good to see so many big names racing.

Prince Albert also rode the first few laps with the bunch.

It was a good event. The Cannibal did indeed attack, after the first few laps, paced behind a car, he put a dig in and rode past the start/finish area off the front.

Zable looked like he could still get round with the pro peleton, suppose he's only been retired a few months.
  • peanut
    thank you for the date. it saves me downloading and watching a weeks worth of racing . :wink: not that I wouldn't enjoy it mind but there are lots of jobs that need doing :roll:
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    celbianchi wrote:
    Zable looked like he could still get round with the pro peloton, suppose he's only been retired a few months.

At the Giro I saw Zabel riding the TTT course with several of the teams (ISD, Leaky Gas, Columbia) both on the day and the day before, and in both Trieste and Valdobbiadene he did several passes of the finish area (to rousing applause!), so indeed I think he's still pretty fit.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    celbianchi wrote:

would be cool to see the Queen or Prince Charles wear lycra and joint a race! (maybe one of the younger princes might be more realistic) ha ha.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    kieranb wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:

would be cool to see the Queen or Prince Charles wear lycra and joint a race! (maybe one of the younger princes might be more realistic) ha ha.

Hey! Prince Charles is younger than I am!

I saw a few snippets of that charity race on the ITV Highlights programme (Friday or Saturday?). I'm almost sure I spotted a female rider. Could it have been Jeanie Longo? I'm not sure what she looks like.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster