Raleigh Max?

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Just been given this bike by my brother in law as my Diamondback is being serviced/repaired at the moment. He's had it a while and said it cost a fair bit (whatever that means) when he bought it, but it's hardly used. It's a Raleigh Max aluminium 21 EZ. Front shocks don't have much travel but if I change them for something better and a 8 speed cassette it might be ok.

raleigh.jpg

Anyone know much about them? Opinions?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Don't waste any money on the bike, it's not worth upgrading anything, sorry.

Cost about £200.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    C'mon andy you know you want one ;)
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • Heh! :lol: No probs. The missus can use it whenever she gets the urge to potter about on a bike.
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    My current bike is a Raleigh Maxlite FS1 that's not dissimilar to the one you've posted.

It's worth £25 to £50 if he's lucky. He probably bought it ten years ago irrespective of the use it's had. Offer him a tenner and tell him you'll save him from the pain of having to eBay it. :lol:

Mine is heavy and cannot climb. I constantly lag behind my brother in law on his Cape Wrath D27 and my brother on his Specialized Stumpjumper. It's not my fitness as I can climb easily on the D27.

I look at it as excellent training for when I have a real bike... which it is.

My FS1 is technically sound and cost me nothing. I can't complain.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to sell them. Was the cheapest alu framed full susser of its time. Basic, no damping, but not that heavy and offered limitied comfort over limited terrain.
  • mudnut
    mudnut Posts: 1
    The first mountain bike I bought was a second hand Max Lite FS1, (green and silver, with Suntour orange forks) I still have it. The best £80 I ever spent. They say it cost somewhere around £800-£1200 when new.

I love this bike! Sure it's old and a little heavy, by todays standards, but I really enjoy riding it. I've had many bikes since then, and sold most of them. I'll never sell my FS1. I ride mine XC, and for commuting. Those Raleigh stickers are the best anti-theft device know to man.

My main DH ride is a Santa Cruz Bullit. My main XC racer is the fastest climbing bike ever made - a Proflex 957. Both these bikes would leave the FS1 for dead, uphill or down, but there is just something special about the FS1. It fits me like a glove, and, when I'm on it, I just feel at one with it. It's a solid ride!!!

It being a touch on the heavy side makes it a great fitness trainer.

I've read that some say it's weak. No way! I've thrown everything the suspension can handle at this bike, with no problems. I would ride my FS1 down the side of a volcano, with total confidence, Man, I'd love to do that! I'm a bit of a speed freak, when I get a chance.

I've changed everything to XT, and will upgrade the rear shock soon. The Suntour forks work fine, for what I use it for. Even the lock out still works.

The 36 spoke double D wheels are totally bomb proof. I've tweeked them twice in five years. More because I'd got my spoke spanner out, than them actually needing it. The RSP hubs are second to none. Smooth as butter, with no play in them. I know nothing of how they are constructed, but they perform as good as the Hope hubs on my other bikes. The front wheel spins forever. Gravity is their friend.

If your a true bike lover, bike riding shouldn't just be about having the best bike. It's 'Horses for courses.' All bikes give different things to their riders. To me, it's about riding a particular bike to the best of your ability, on terrain that suits it and finding out what you can do with it.

This FS1 is a fun bike to ride. On any Raleigh you'll get the dismissive looks, and comments from the bike snobs but be true to yourself and ride em with pride!

Mudnut
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    To be honest I would not bother upgrading anything. I had a salcano downhill (similar to the raliegh) and it was pretty poor, however I still had fun. Give it a bit of WD40 every now and then and don't try anything stupid and you should be ok. Bear in mind though that these bikes are basically not designed to do any major off roading stuff, fine for bridle paths and light trails etc. They look hardcore but are really not built to any decent quality. You may be better with a second hand HT from ebay. You could get one for around £100 - £150 that would do a bit of everything.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The FS1 was £375

Much more like it :wink:

Use it for pootling to the shops on & save up & buy a decent bike
    BAZZ