Edinburgh sportive (Bethany)

Dr U Idh
Dr U Idh Posts: 324
Anyone registered for this? I've emailed the organisers (twice now) with all my details, but they've yet to respond in any way at all.

Comments

• amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    I did a long time ago. I received some emails fairly soon but nothing recently.
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    2 of us registered today. Got a receipt from Just Giving within a few secs but nowt else yet. Would expect to hear within a week or so though.
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Update

received an email 1st thing this morning from the fundraising & marketing manager thanking me for my registration and enclosing a sponsorship form (non mandatory) and route maps. It also gives contact email address and telephone number.
  • Dr U Idh
    Aye - got mine through too. Just need to work out how to get a few miles in between now and then. I'm a bit worried that some of the roads are being done "the wrong way round" :-)
  • stevev
    stevev Posts: 18
    I might have a go at the shorter course, is it likely to he very hilly ? I cant seem to find a graph.
  • stevev
    Sorry people just found the graph on another site and it looks canny...Cheers
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Things seem to be sorted now that Aillean is back from holiday.
    The links on www.edinburghsportive.btik.com take your to the routes on bikeroutetoaster and the profile is in the "summary" section. Note, this site seems to have recently adjusted the height gain calculations so for the short route it's gone from 5 000 ft of climb to just 3 500 :cry::lol: and the 110 mile route from 8 000ft to 6200. I think the new figures are understatements, probably missing the smaller bumps.
    Either way, both routes are stunning over the hills and avoiding traffic on all but about 2 miles. The last 15 miles is almost all downhill. Though a first for Bethany, the event manager is experienced in organising other events and is attending to every detail. we also have a first class venue for the HQ so it is all adding up to being a great event.

I'm doing the shorter route so I can be around at the beginning and end to help out if needed, but I will sorely miss the fantastic loop around the Borders.

Places are still available, but entries are comeing in fast . The fringe festival starts the same weekend, so it could make a great weekend break for anyone travelling some distance; if you have never been to Edinburgh, this is your chance.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Dr U Idh
    DaveMoss wrote:
    I'm doing the shorter route so I can be around at the beginning and end to help out if needed

Best excuse so far?
  • stevev
    I entered via the donation page and an e-mail to the organiser but have yet to hear if my entry is through :?
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Oh I wish I could get up for this, did the Morfoot Hills in June as part of the coast and castles, fantastic ride, long easy climbs and long sweeping descents through stunning views, and hardly any traffic.

D :D
  • DaveMoss
    Last call for entries, places still available.

i hope to have entry list on the website in a day or two.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Dave, have you sent out any detials to people who have already enetered. I haven't received anything yet. Ta
  • Dr U Idh
    I went around the short course today. 105km in what seemed to be a constant headwind. Having uploaded the track from my Edge 305 to Anquet, I'm getting 2,000m of ascent.....

Hmm - just uploaded it to GPSU (which doesn't try to overlay it onto height data) and got 1,593m of ascent. That seems a bit more like it eh?

Seriously thinking of just doing the short course again next week. 14.5mph average, but I was definitely feeling tired at the end.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    What time does this start on saturday?
  • DaveMoss
    Just back from the volunteers briefing meeting . Everything in place for a great day.

We have been generously supported by Highland Spring Water and Fyffes bannanas; which means not only will you be well fed and watered, but pre entries will get a tee shirt as well.

You can still pre enter, and WE WILL be taking entries on the day. the instructions for the day are below, if entering on the day please read and bring the right money with you.

Subject: Bethany Sportive - Information Update

Hi,

Thank You for registering for the Inaugural Bethany Cyclo-sportive and for your patience with us as we finalise the details of what is to happen on the day.

On arriving at the Lasswade Fitness Centre (attached to Lasswade High School), both of which are to be found in Bonnyrigg, you will require to Register. The first registration will start at 8.00 am. Once you arrive you will be guided into one of the main gyms to register. You will go from there to the Start and leave at 2 minute intervals in groups of no more than 10 riders at a time. At the Start you will be required to pick up your number badge (with details of the route on the back of the badge). Please ensure that the time keepers have recorded your number at the Start and Finish and let them know if you changed from your original route choice.

Please present your self at the starting area according to your expected speed for the course:

Fast Riders: Please don’t join the queue too early as this might push the slower riders back to a start later than they require.

Slow Riders: Please start early to give yourself time to get round.

Suggested Start times are as follows:-

Long course:- 13 mph average speed - 8.15 start; 14 mph - 8.30 start; 17mph - 9.00 start; 18 mph or faster - 9.10 start.

Short course:- 10mph or less - 8.30 start; 11/12 mph - 9.00 start; 13/14/15 mph - 9.20 start; 16/17 mph - 9.30 start; 18 mph or faster - 9.40 start.

Your co-operation in keeping to these approximate start times will greatly assist the logistics for the event. These times are for joining the queue – your actual start time will depend on the number of riders presenting themselves at any one time.

Feedstations are located at Innerleithen (Please note: If you intended completing the long route and reach here any later than 11.30 am, you will be directed on to the short route); Roberton (long route only) and Fountainhall.

Should you abandon the ride for any reason you MUST call 0131 660 1933 to let us know you are ok.

If you have been raising sponsor money for the event, could you kindly aim to have that to Bethany by 15th September. Your Co-operation in this matter is highly appreciated.

I hope all of this is clear and that we all have a happy and memorable inaugural sportive. We really do appreciate your support of our work by taking part.

If you have any further questions, please contact me.
    Thanks
    Aileen
    Sportive Organiser
    sportive@bethanychristiantrust.com
    0131 625 5319
  • amircp
    I am looking forward to this. First event that I'll be able to cycle to and it is a lovely route. I hope I'll got over my cold that I've had the last week. Forecast looks okay (at least not so much wind as last weekend).
  • Dr U Idh
    Great ride - thanks to the organisers, marshalls and those manning the feed stations. Seemed to go off with barely a hitch, which is good for a first attempt. Lots of water and food available and lots of smiley faces.

I'm sure there'll be some good feedback, but I'd like to get in with...

The route was generally very good - reasonable gradients, a couple of great descents, not much traffic to deal with. In fact, there was a couple of times I was almost forgetting about the possibility of oncoming traffic!

Some waymarking seemed to have gone astray near the end. I was fine as I remembered the route, but I think some folk missed the roundabout onto the new road.

Some countdown markers to the feed stations and again at the end would have been nice.

Nowt you can do about the route, but "someone" really needs to sort out the road surface on the section to Middleton. It's a disgrace that this is part of NCN1.

That headwind on the last section was unwarranted. I suggest a big, sheltering wall is built for next year :-)
  • stevev
    It was Brilliant RAPHA CONDOR LOOK AND LEARN !!! apart from a couple of arrows at the end the day and scenary were great. Lots of markers for drivers on wooden frames to let them know and be carefull which also helped the riders to know they were on the route. Brilliant feed station manned by enthusiastic marshals and tee shirt at the end as well. The timing was not chipped but done correctly with what seemed like a dozen marshals counting down and signing you back in....and did I say the scenary was great and traffic free roads :wink: .

thanks to the organisers and I will return.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Wow, that hurt. Note to self - don't go out with a group that's too quick for you and blow up with 50 miles still to ride...

That said, great day, lovely weather, good organisation. I'd agree with the comment about a countdown to feed stations, or at least be able to say how many miles they are along the course! I was starting to get worried I'd missed the last one!

Thanks to all the organisers for a great job.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Had a great time doing this yesterday. My first long ride, and just about my first proper hills. Cue calls of, "They aren't proper hills!". Very well organised, great feed stops (Mmmm... Chocolate Snowballs :) ) and a great fun day out.

They even managed to get the perfect weather, with a tailwind to blow me back up the Granites for the last hill.

Well done to all.
  • Dr U Idh
    For those that didn't get the slip, photos will be available from http://www.jamesruskinphoto.com
  • DaveMoss
    Thanks for the feedback

I hope to have the times on the event website in a day or two.
  • amircp
    Agree with all above - it was an excellent event and the volunteers along the route were wonderful.

Re: Middleton - by this stage I had finally found a loose group of riders that I could keep up with but the road conditions here made keeping a group together tricky.
    I often go through Middleton on the way up the Moorfoots. The surface is terrible but other parts of the road network in Midlothian are just as bad. I think the officials responsible ought to have to cycle round the network regularly on 18mm tyres.