Hurtwood ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2009 in Routes
Looking around my OS maps for some local off-road potential and Hurtwood (near Peaslake, Surrey) looks like it has potential.

A quick google reveals there's some mtb stuff going on there and sounds like it has the support of the owners in a "managed" way (though they ask for a £25 a year donation).

Anyone ride around there and what's it like? Is it bridle paths and the like or any dedicated singletrack?

Comments

• JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    theres great riding round there- pitch hill, holmbury hill and best of all, leath hill, at nearly 1000 feet the, highest hill in the southeast. mainly bridleways, a few footpaths(shame), and on leath hill a ridiculously sandy byway, from a village called wooton to the top. i didn't know you had too pay!
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    There's loads of singletrack on Pitch/Holmbury and Leith Hills area, though you may need pointing in the right direction to find it! Hurtwood Control, who manage the land have a policy of supporting mountain biking in the area and that includes maintaining the trails that have already been buit there. The £25 donation goes towards the management of the area and isn't a 'fee' that you have to pay to ride.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers. I'll have to check it out some time.

Leith Hill I understand is National Trust however. I get the impression the singletrack round there is more towards the Coldharbour end? Still NT owned there?

I've been to Leith Hill just on foot (doing the touristy thing going up the tower and all that :D), but not cycled there. So that's another to add to my list.

Maybe I need to get on a group ride or something. Only thing I fear is my fitness is not up to scratch, especially if there's a lot of uphill! :shock: :D