How stop my chain going black/stiff/greasy ??

2»

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    There is enough superstitious silliness about chain cleaning already, but that damned KMC article is determined to add to it – and winning, judged by the number of times it crops up here, with it's dastardly message of corrosive solvents and instant ruination.

I don't know what the marketing people at KMC are smoking, but it I don't think this confused and error-filled article has much interesting to say about lubricating mechanisms.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The venerable (and sadly deceased) Sheldon Brown has a similar message about the factory lube:
    Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
    This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!.

Was Sheldon wrong??? :shock:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    alfablue wrote:
    The venerable (and sadly deceased) Sheldon Brown has a similar message about the factory lube:
    Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
    This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!.

personally, I think Sheldon is just plain wrong about a lot of things - including the lube issue. The 'factory lube' which he describes is usually nothing more than a long-life coating that is applied to the chain in the factory to keep it in good nick until the box gets opened.

IMO, the best thing you can do to a new chain is clean all of the sticky shite off it and then apply your regular lube - asap.

I used to find that a new chain would not shift properly until it had been degreased and re-lubed....but what do I know, I'm not Sheldon.....
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    alfablue wrote:
    No, he was right. The KMC people are wrong. Their positions on this subject are different.
  • bilabonic
    bilabonic Posts: 299
    After reading all that going to strip chain with acid and grease with lard.... :shock:
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    LoL bilabong!

OK, I am going to sort my chain out as im getting more paranoid every post. Can someone tell me if the chain cleaners (ala halfords see-thru plastic machinery) do a good job, or any preffered procedure?
  • RSV_Ecosse
    RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
    Just fitted a new chain to my bike last week, SRAM 951 with a gold Powerlink. The Powerlink make's chain cleaning really easy as you can simply split the Powerlink and remove the whole thing.

I tend to clean/degrease my chain, front chainrings and rear cassette every few weeks or so. Then apply Halfords Wet Synthetic Bike Chain Lube.
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I'd recommend against using a spray lube as it's very easy to over-oil the chain.

In dry conditions, use a nice light lube like Pedro's Road Rage. It's far less sticky and so the chain keeps dry for longer. However, light lubes do require more frequent reapplication.

I wipe my chain with a rag soaked in white spirit and then once a month or so use the Park Tool Chain Cleaner thing.
  • bilabonic
    bilabonic Posts: 299
    RSV_Ecosse wrote:
    Just fitted a new chain to my bike last week, SRAM 951 with a gold Powerlink. The Powerlink make's chain cleaning really easy as you can simply split the Powerlink and remove the whole thing.

I tend to clean/degrease my chain, front chainrings and rear cassette every few weeks or so. Then apply Halfords Wet Synthetic Bike Chain Lube.

I thought powerlink are not reusable on 10 speed ?
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp
  • RSV_Ecosse
    RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
    No idea m8, it's 9 speed Tiagra I have on mine. 8)
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    I agree with using a light lube like Road Rage. With this, washing the chain with car shampoo and a rag will clean the chain to a like new condition. In the summer frequent applications and wiping excess lube off will keep your chain reasonably clean with no horrible black gunk building up.
    GT85 or WD40 is too thin.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Garz wrote:
    Can someone tell me if the chain cleaners (ala halfords see-thru plastic machinery) do a good job?

* Cough * /shameless bump
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    I use GT85 on my chain which is a bit similar to WD40 to clean my chain after every couple of rides. Just spray some onto a rag and run it through the chain.Once this has been applied I then add some ''road rage oil'' to the chain and so far so good.Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    PK1 wrote:
    GT85 or WD40 is too thin.

says who..?
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Wipe, lube, wipe, lube, wipe again. 3 or 4 times a week.

oh, and more or less the same treatment for my chain

use white lighning - no complaints unless it happens to rain for more than 2 minutes