Pannier racks on Specialized Tricross

BikeNewby
BikeNewby Posts: 13
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
So, I have pried myself away from my MTB and bought myself a Specialized Tricross (for better or worse). However, I took the bike into the LBS to find it some fancy new rear pannier racks but it is apparently lacking the attachment points down by the hub. The LBS guy suggested a floating rack but this sounds like it might be a bit weak to me - I'm planning on putting 20L panniers on either side and bouncing it around a bit.

So questions are:
1. Can I fit a fully fixed rack?
2. Will a floating rack take the punishment?

Thanks in advance

BN

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Yes.

No.

:wink:

PS welcome to the forum. It's always a good idea to have a quick shufty to see if your question has been asked before - and this is probably the most frequently asked question of all. If you'd scrolled down a bit further you'd have found this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12633763

Which gives all of the available options (apart from trailers) a pretty good thrashing. alfablue's post near the top is probably most relevant to what you want to do.
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    what year is your tricross

mine is a 2008 and appears to have the required fixing points down by the hub..one reason i got it was for touring at some point
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    And I have a 2007 version and it has the hub points. Memory serves they are filled with Rubber bungs on arrival. Also I can remember a photo somewhere on this forum with a fully kitted tricross. Mudguards, paniers, the lot
  • I've got a 2008 Tricross Sport (the one with the triple) and have happily been touring with it. Holes all present and correct. Don't know if the Comp would have them - suspect not as it's more of a 'real' cross bike rather than all-rounder.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    I have the 2007 sport and my other half has the 2008 Comp and both have panier anchor points.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Rack fittings, if you have them, are m5 tapped holes near the top side of the dropout, and on the seat stays somewhere above the brake bridge. Sometimes you get the dropout holes but not the seat stay holes.

If there are no fittings, Tubus sell a kit for fitting some of their racks via the quick release, and P-clips on the seat stays.
    Alternatively, Carradice sell Old Man Mountain racks that similarly mount on the QR, which you should be able to fit with some P-clips and a bit of bodging (really designed for MTBs and disc brakes).