Cobbles

albino
albino Posts: 34
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all - Noob to the forum here and looking for s bit of advice please :)
I'm back in the saddle of my old Trek 4300 after about 4 years out due to a type of arthritis, (I'm only 34 :( ) ANyway, the meds I'm on manage to control it enough so that I can start to shred it up a bit again. The only problem I've got is that to get to a lot of the fun stuff around where I live , (nr Mary Townley loop in Lancs),I need to go up and down a lot of cobbled tracks. The up bits aren't too bad but when I come down fast I feel like my body's going to shaken apart and my fillings are going to fall out! So is there any technique for riding cobbles or am I going to have to live with it. Also I know my bike isn't the best so and I'm planning on upgrading it anyway to a full sus using the cycle to work scheme..will I see much of a diff?
CHeers, Al

Comments

• dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    a full sys will take the 'edge' of it persuming its setup to take in some little, quick bumps.

Best thing to avoid the bone shake feeling it to make sure your body it loose when riding over cobbles and use your body to take in the bumps rather than just allowing it to shake you silly :)

could try riding stood up over then bumpy bit and let you legs do the bump taking, might ease away the fully body shake.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi and welcome,

Sorry to hear about the Arthritis :cry: I know what it's like mate. I came down with viral arthritis and kawasaki syndrome when I was 6. I don't remember too much about it, cos I was whacked out on painkillers all the time. Damn near killed me apparently! :shock: My joints click like mad now too!

The exercise will be very good for you, and will help you keep a bit more supple imho.

As regards the bone-shaker experience, I totally agree with dynamis_dk.

I've ridden Llandegla this morning on my hardtail, and I had to stand on most of the bumpy bits. Tried to keep myself relaxed too, but hard when you are cacking yourself lol.

My mates were both on full-sus bikes, and they had a much easier time of it.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Running your tyres at lower pressure could take a lot of the sting out of cobbles try 30 psi in the front and 35 psi in rear. I notice a lot of new riders run their tyres way too hard a mate complained of a harsh ride when he took up mountain biking turned out he had taken the bike down to the garage and inflated his tyres to 70 psi
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • albino
    Thanks for the responses so far...
    Dynamis - I'll try to concentrate on the relaxing part, but like you saynSi78, it's hard to relax when the bike's trying to define its own direction at 25mph :shock:
    Stubs - I have played about a bit with tyre pressure and front shock but i prob need to sort myself out with a proper pump rather than my mini which hasn't got a gauge :)

As for the arthritis I'm totally chuffed that I can get back on the bike again, thankfully the NSAIDS i'm on mean that my major joints work better whereas before a 5 mile run out would leave my wrist and elbow immoveable for a week or so. The only issue have now is limited movement in my fingers but i've sorted out the brakes to make things easier. Looking forward to hydraulic discs which should hopefully make things easier. Gear-changes are always limited for the first few miles but once I'm warmed up clicking gets easier! :P

Thanks again and any more advice will be gratefully accepted...looking forward to some quarry riding tomorrow now (via cobbles of course!)!
  • littlebear
    littlebear Posts: 92
    A longer stem can smooth out the ride but do not compromise your position! Try pumping or riding light. imagine your were about to bunny hop but without leaving the ground. Look for the smoother bits (if possible) and pick up over the rougher stuff, like your pumping. Also the faster you ride the smoother it will be. Use a cadence that allows you to keep speed and remain light on the pedals when you need it most! HTH :wink:

Carbon seat post and bars smooth things out a little to !

Ergo grips?

Maxis 2.7 High rollers?
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
  • littlebear
    A longer stem can smooth out the ride but do not compromise your position! Try pumping or riding light. imagine your were about to bunny hop but without leaving the ground. Look for the smoother bits (if possible) and pick up over the rougher stuff, like your pumping. Also the faster you ride the smoother it will be. Use a cadence that allows you to keep speed and remain light on the pedals when you need it most! HTH :wink:

Ergo grips?

Maxis 2.7 High rollers?
  • littlebear

Ergo grips?

Maxis 2.7 High rollers?
  • littlebear
    just in case, i posted that 3 times...Cos its such great advice :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Easy way to do it is to stand up out of the saddle, and keep your arms and legs limber and loose to take the vibration out.
    Also, keep a fairly loose grip with your hands, no need for a death-grip.
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    albino wrote:
    I'll try to concentrate on the relaxing part, but like you saynSi78, it's hard to relax when the bike's trying to define its own direction at 25mph :shock:

lol, you'll get over that in time tho... once you start putting the hours back in the confidance will grow and you'll start commanding control from the bike - kicking it into shape when it tried to make a wrong turn :)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Rooley Moor Road is fun isn't it, best way to ride the cobbles is in the grass to the side. Unfortunately whichever way you look at it the cobbles aren't great for riding on but a full suss defnitely makes thing more comfortable.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • albino
    Thanks again for your replies and infoeveryone...
    Not sure where to start but I went out for the first time with a mate on the same route this evening. On the way back down he let me borrow his Orange Patriot freeride bike...Holy Moley what a difference that made!! It's opened my eyes to a whole new experience in mountain biking. First of all I wasn't getting any (or very little) bone-shaking judder, the bike just seemed to eat up every bump, big or small. As as a result I was able to ride totally differently - a lot quicker and I found I could take any line I wanted to and actually get some airtime jumping off/over rocks and lips which normally I would have had to avoid for fear of serious over the handlebar action. I seriously can't believe how much better it was and i'm still buzzing about it now, hence why I'm on here typing away rather than tucked up in bed. I don't think a freeride bike is right for me but if I get a XC bike that's even half as much fun as that then I'm going to be putting some serious miles in.
    Anyway I thought I'd share that with you all...roll on full sus!!! :D