Was Andy Schleck right?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2009 in Pro race
In an interview (see velonews' video interview) Andy said that he could have gone with Contador but that it would have cost him more energy than Contador because the wind was in his face but Contador was sheltered behind the cars geetting an unfair advantage. I didn't notice that when watching, did anyone else?

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    He must be confident of pulling back the time he lost yesterday + the time he was already down otherwise he is accepting already that he won't win.

If what Schleck is saying is true, what was wrong with him going with Contador and then taking over the lead position behind the cars and turning the situation around - I'm sure an opportunity to do so would have presented itself too him.

It sounds like posturing to me.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    He must be confident of pulling back the time he lost yesterday + the time he was already down otherwise he is accepting already that he won't win.

If what Schleck is saying is true, what was wrong with him going with Contador and then taking over the lead position behind the cars and turning the situation around - I'm sure an opportunity to do so would have presented itself too him.

It sounds like posturing to me.

I agree having watched it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgATLQxqORU there isnt any cars when AC first makes his attack then when he goes round the corner and still no cars for a stretch.Sounds to me like he didnt have the legs to go with him after trying hard to do so.[/code]
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    he couldnt follow the initial acceleration, i am sure the wind was a factor but it wasnt just blowing on him! if anything the wind stopped contador pulling more time.... i dont see anyone following contador on his day. he has been kknown to have off days though, so his rivals including a schleck better hope he has another....
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    biggest load of cycling excuses I have heard on the tour so far

-10 points andy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Absolutely off, Andy.

Then again, I wouldn't hold it against Schleck. Riders live the last climb completely fired up on adrenaline and don't have the angles we do. From behind I'm sure it looked like Contador was right behind the car. Then, in complete and utter oxygen debt, when all that blood is in the legs rather than the head, you get a microphone stuffed in your face and have to analyze a situation. I know I can say some pretty stupid things in the minutes following a hard interval session. He's wrong but I wouldn't call it making excuses.