How do I find other MTBers to go out with?

Foozick
Foozick Posts: 10
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey,

I'm getting lonesome out all on my own riding, and my girlfriend isn't exactly hardcore on her bike. I don't know of any MTB clubs near me (Crawley-South East England). I'm always seein groups of riders up the woods and I just wanna tag along, so any1 got any advice on how to get some MTB buddies who live near me.

Foozick

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best way would probably to go to a forest, and dig a big pit in the ground, and cover it with thin twigs. Then you can cover that in dirt or grass.
    Next, you need to get some cake as bait, and lay it in the middle of the covered hole.

Sorted :lol:
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    that sounds like a plane to me i will try that in delamere forrest as im a newbe myself . there not many 37 year olds i know who want to go out for a ride and the wife is all ways to tierd to do anything anyway
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Keep a look out on the rides section for people riding in your local area,or put a post up yourself.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    that sounds like a plane to me i will try that in delamere forrest as im a newbe myself . there not many 37 year olds i know who want to go out for a ride and the wife is all ways to tierd to do anything anyway

Can't help the OP sorry, but these forums are a good place to organise rides.

But Chester and the surrounding area seems to have loads of new/recent members popping up on here! Have you ventured up to Llandegla yet Supersutt? (have to be careful with an obvious typo on that one!)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,121
    GTi-R23 wrote:
    SUPERSUTT wrote:

Can't help the OP sorry, but these forums are a good place to organise rides.

But Chester and the surrounding area seems to have loads of new/recent members popping up on here! Have you ventured up to Llandegla yet Supersutt? (have to be careful with an obvious typo on that one!)

the chester (ish) people just seems to grow & grow. Will be a llandegla on Wednesday night again

OP - The pit seems a great idea!
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    Foozick wrote:
    Hey,

I'm getting lonesome out all on my own riding, and my girlfriend isn't exactly hardcore on her bike. I don't know of any MTB clubs near me (Crawley-South East England). I'm always seein groups of riders up the woods and I just wanna tag along, so any1 got any advice on how to get some MTB buddies who live near me.

Foozick

Foozick,

I'm probably one of those riders that you see out in Tilgate Forest.
    We're a friendly bunch, and always welcome newcomers (Blimey, its only just over a year since I was one myself!)
    Check out our website - http://sussexmuddyarse.wordpress.com/ - using the button on the right hand side, to access the forum.
    Keep your eye open for discussions of our informal Wednesday night rides in Tilgate. (And upcoming club rides in the area)
    The ladies have their own rides, from time to time, to provide a more relaxed atmosphere, so your girlfriend may even be catered for.

Hope to see you on the trails soon.

Bob

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    Best way would probably to go to a forest, and dig a big pit in the ground, and cover it with thin twigs. Then you can cover that in dirt or grass.
    Next, you need to get some cake as bait, and lay it in the middle of the covered hole.

In the Crawley area, you might have more luck using TangFastics as bait :twisted:

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364

mmm....i always brake for cake. :wink:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    For Chester check out this lot
    http://www.chestermtb.co.uk/

For a little further north try here

http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/index.html
  • spark1479
    spark1479 Posts: 21
    I used to live down near Dorking and there were organised rides from Nirvana Cycles in Westcott thats not too far from you (on A25 I think). They ride up in Leith Hill and Holmbury St Mary etc
    screaming when you are about to crash doesn't help....!

2009 Orange 5 Custom
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425

Absolute f'ing genious that, quality. If there was a response of the year award this would win it.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.