Women's MTB - which one?

LondonMTB
LondonMTB Posts: 79
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
(Not sure whether to post this on Buying Advice?)
Having just moved to near Epping Forest, I am keen to take up mountain-biking, and have £400-600 to spend (approximately). I have read good things about the following bikes, but wonder if any one type is better for someone of my build, being a slim but long-legged and long-armed female with a ridiculously short torso! I know that ultrimately it will depend on how test-rides go, but advice much appreciated...My current not-so-short list (feel free to add or remove from it!)...
GT Avalanche 2.0 (worth stretching to 1.0) womens?
Specialized Myka HT Elite womens
Scott Contessa 30
Kona Lisa HT (more expensive but can push the budget or buy in the sale if it's the right bike for me)

Any advice?

Comments

• bike husband
    bike husband Posts: 124
    Hi the giant Arete 3w could be woth a look [£600] ,there is a good lbs in Epping Town that stocks Giant. hope this is of some help
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Welcome to the forums.

They all look pretty good, I think it's going to come down to how well they fit you. If I'm not mistaken the build women specific bikes are supposed to fit is long legs and shorter torso (relative to a man), so you should be in luck.

If you find a good LBS they should help you with fitting and may change stem / handlebar to help fit you.
  • angrymeerkat
    angrymeerkat Posts: 134
    Well, my girl has just got a Contessa 50. Tried to get her to go for the 55, with far better componentry for £20 extra... but it had to be the baby blue one, not the burgundy one!! :shock:

Anyway, my 2pence - the frame on that Scott is quite a piece of engineering. Lovely.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mrs.blitz is 5'9" and recently tried a bunch of mid-range hardtails. The women's-specific frames had very short top tubes and in some cases her knees were almost touching the handlebars even though the seat height and standover were OK.

If your torso is on the short side you may find that the WS frames are worth trying - Trek have them in 14.5, 15.5, 16.5 and 17.5 sizes - but only after you've decided that the men's frames are not for you.

If it's any help mrs.blitz bought a 17.5 Gary Fisher Hookooekoo. The G2 geometry has a comfortable, spacious cockpit but the short stem avoids the 'gate-on-wheels' effect.
  • skellator
    skellator Posts: 29
    try out the diamondback response sport, female secific and good spec, also try out a raleigh mtrax, more unisex but good range of sizes and good value,

keep riding the bike that is
    What goes up must come down wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!