Castle Coombe Summer Crit Series

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited July 2009 in Amateur race
Hi all,

Does anyone do this or have any ifo about it?

I want to give some crits ago and see if I can get back into it after 20 years away from cycle racing.

I have done a quick search on Google and found that it's on a Thursday evening at 7.30, but couldn't find anything on cost etc (I am not a BCF member).

Can anyone tell me how fast the 4th CAT's will be on average etc, it would be nice to know how long it will be before I am dropped :(

Cheers

JD
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Check this link.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... 1&club_id={FAF5BEFB-066E-4E82-ABBA-49ED3EEC5E4E}

[Edit: Sorry about the bum link, can't make it work]

I was there spectating last night - also thinking about giving it a go. It's a handicap, 4th cats off first, then 3rds, then the rest. 4ths were lapping at about 26mph (4:15 per lap) on their own, 3rds a little faster (4:05-10), the rest a lot faster (3:50-55). So when they caught the 3rds, then the 4ths there was a real shake out between those who could keep a (very) fast wheel and those that couldn't. Those that couldn't split into several small groups.

I was told afterwards, though, that it was comparatively a very tough race. Won by a Sports Beans followed by two Raphas who broke away for the last three laps.
  • reaper2
    reaper2 Posts: 55
    Come to Ilton just off A358 between yeovil and taunton on week thursday.race starts at 7.20pm 3 seperate races for 1,2 then 3rds and finally 4ths. better course than castle coombe. price £10 pluscost of day license. Organised by Tor2000.co.uk
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    reaper2 wrote:
    Come to Ilton just off A358 between yeovil and taunton on week thursday.race starts at 7.20pm 3 seperate races for 1,2 then 3rds and finally 4ths. better course than castle coombe. price £10 pluscost of day license. Organised by Tor2000.co.uk

What's the usual size of field and average speed? (Or is that a "how long is a piece of string?" question?)
  • 4th cat race is normally 40-60 riders, it's a nice easy course though, on an airfield so pretty much flat, can get a bit windy though! Normally ends in a bunch sprint although the other week I got in and did a lot of work for the breakaway that won it, but unfortunately got dropped by them 1km out after losing a wheel into the wind!

exercise.png
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    The races at Ilton sound just the ticket, when is the end of the season?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Races on Thursday and I think Sunday this week, then nothing until September if I remember correctly. Go on the British Cycling website and search for Merryfield Airfield (just outside Ilton where the races are held) as a venue, it'll show you what events are being held there and when.

exercise.png
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    I'll be at Ilton on Thursday and most likely Sunday. Good circuit to start racing on. Nice and wide with no sharp corners.