Doncaster 'Fat Club' ride(s)

SilverSenator
SilverSenator Posts: 85
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
For those of us in Doncaster who are trying to rid ourselves of the Clydesdale class. First ride to commence after 18th July. The question is, where?
Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
Current BMR: 2095 Calories

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    For those of us in Doncaster who are trying to rid ourselves of the Clydesdale class. First ride to commence after 18th July. The question is, where?

That depends on whether you want off-road or tarmac, how far you want to go and whether you want to stay local or wander further afield...
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • donnydaz
    donnydaz Posts: 6
    I've just got back from riding today, set off from Intake - Lakeside - Doncaster Green Way,Bessacar, then ended up going across a fairway of the golf club!!! Littleworth Lane Rosso, bridleway past Hayfield lakes, Brockholes Farm, Branton, Armthorpe pit tip and Sandall Beat Wood. just over 20 miles mostly off road, in a leisurly 2.5 hours.
    Boy do my knees know about it now!! :roll:
    Riding a 1993 Marin Palisades Trail with Manitou front forks...................groovy
  • Cheshley wrote:
    That depends on whether you want off-road or tarmac, how far you want to go and whether you want to stay local or wander further afield...
    Don't mind either but I think my off-road skills will be more than a little rusty! Not that keen on road riding. My racing bike has been off the road even longer than the MTB. Pretty certain that the road bike will definitely need me to weigh a lot less than I am now.

Absolutely no idea about distance as it's years since I've been out on the bike! I should imagine that I'll be kerry packered pretty quickly though :(

As my car's stuffed (terminally) I'm pretty limited to how far afield I can go at the moment. Probably should wait until my fitness levels are a wee bit higher!

There're a few routes near me that aren't too bad. TPT is accessible from Edlington though possibly a little 'dull' for some. Edlo and Wadworth woods have some single track but can be notoriously muddy if it's rained in previous few days. Also a bridleway that goes through to Clifton and through Conisbrough Parks but needs hill climbing fitness.

But am open to suggestions.
  • Cheshley
    donnydaz wrote:
    I've just got back from riding today, set off from Intake - Lakeside - Doncaster Green Way,Bessacar, then ended up going across a fairway of the golf club!!! Littleworth Lane Rosso, bridleway past Hayfield lakes, Brockholes Farm, Branton, Armthorpe pit tip and Sandall Beat Wood. just over 20 miles mostly off road, in a leisurly 2.5 hours.

You should have said, I could have come with ya!!! We sometimes add that loop through Bessacarr, over the golf course, Rosso, Hayfield, Auckley to our usual route around Sandall Beat woods.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley wrote:
    Don't mind either but I think my off-road skills will be more than a little rusty! Not that keen on road riding. My racing bike has been off the road even longer than the MTB. Pretty certain that the road bike will definitely need me to weigh a lot less than I am now.

Absolutely no idea about distance as it's years since I've been out on the bike! I should imagine that I'll be kerry packered pretty quickly though :(

As my car's stuffed (terminally) I'm pretty limited to how far afield I can go at the moment. Probably should wait until my fitness levels are a wee bit higher!

There're a few routes near me that aren't too bad. TPT is accessible from Edlington though possibly a little 'dull' for some. Edlo and Wadworth woods have some single track but can be notoriously muddy if it's rained in previous few days. Also a bridleway that goes through to Clifton and through Conisbrough Parks but needs hill climbing fitness.

But am open to suggestions.

TPT might be a good idea mate, you need some miles to get your legs working again!!!!!
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley wrote:
    donnydaz wrote:

You should have said, I could have come with ya!!! We sometimes add that loop through Bessacarr, over the golf course, Rosso, Hayfield, Auckley to our usual route around Sandall Beat woods.
    I used to do most of that route when I lived at Cantley.
  • Cheshley wrote:
    TPT might be a good idea mate, you need some miles to get your legs working again!!!!!
    So pick up TPT from Edlington, over the railway viaduct (don't fall off!), right onto the river bank, through Sprotborough and then double-back on ourselves to come back through Warmsworth? That's about 8 or 9 miles I think.
  • donnydaz
    Cheshley wrote:
    So pick up TPT from Edlington, over the railway viaduct (don't fall off!), right onto the river bank, through Sprotborough and then double-back on ourselves to come back through Warmsworth? That's about 8 or 9 miles I think.

I went along there last saturday very enjoyable. Dropped on the TPT from Sprotborough Rd, just passed the Newton along to the Boat Inn :lol: up to the old railway crossing (which was hard work) and into Edlo, over to Tenter lane back down the side of the Don to Hexthorpe flatts!
    Riding a 1993 Marin Palisades Trail with Manitou front forks...................groovy
  • Cheshley
    donnydaz wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

I went along there last saturday very enjoyable. Dropped on the TPT from Sprotborough Rd, just passed the Newton along to the Boat Inn :lol: up to the old railway crossing (which was hard work) and into Edlo, over to Tenter lane back down the side of the Don to Hexthorpe flatts!

How did you find the trail along the river from Sprotbrough Falls to Hexthorpe? Last time I tried to ride that in Summer it was pretty much overgrown.... :(
    Hoping to get out next week, through town to Hexthorpe, along the river to Sprotbrough and up through the woods to Steetley quarry. Not been out that way for a good few years.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• donnydaz
    Cheshley wrote:
    donnydaz wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

How did you find the trail along the river from Sprotbrough Falls to Hexthorpe? Last time I tried to ride that in Summer it was pretty much overgrown.... :(
    Hoping to get out next week, through town to Hexthorpe, along the river to Sprotbrough and up through the woods to Steetley quarry. Not been out that way for a good few years.
    It wasn't too bad on the bit I went on very muddy though. I went past Warmsworth Cemetry and down from the disused railway bridge, so missed the part from the falls out!
  • Cheshley
    donnydaz wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:
    donnydaz wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

It wasn't too bad on the bit I went on very muddy though. I went past Warmsworth Cemetry and down from the disused railway bridge, so missed the part from the falls out!

Have to go up and find out then :)

Let me know if you're at a loose end next week
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• donnydaz
    Cheshley wrote:

Let me know if you're at a loose end next week
    I'm on afternoons next week, but may set off early one day if its nice and go to work (Balby)that way!
  • Count me in too, I'm currently biking aone & its gets dull

Andy
  • Cheshley
    Nicely, where you based Andy?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    Yay a good idea with this thread, I haven't been around much I've been doing the complete ground force thing in my back yard and yes i'm fooked now........

You know the score just let me know when rides are heappening and i'll come along, got semi slicks on at the mo but can change if we decide to do something off road
  • Cheshley
    Evenin Rob, or should that be Mr Titchmarsh....?

How's things?

Hoping to get up to Sprotbrough & Steetley this week if you can make it.

That's an open invitation by the way, only day I can't do this week is Wednesday
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Chaps, I'm in Hatfield - def up for a ride

Silver Senator - i reckon its your post and therefore up to you to sort !! LOL
  • Cheshley
    The Senator has gone away so won't be riding till after the 18th.

What days/times are good for you this week?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• rob_mafia
    I'm up for thursday evening if you guys are about anytime after 6 to be honest
  • Cheshley
    nice one Rob, route in mind? mud or tarmac?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• rob_mafia
    Well to be honest tarmac, I have still got my semi's on (oooeeer mrs) and I am in need of getting some more miles in ready for september, so I will leave it to the hands of the gods just tell me where to meet and I'll be there, anyone else up for this?
  • rob_mafia
    So thirsday is a nono cus the wifes work have asked her to work so I'm on daddy duty but anyone up for saturday or sunday evening??
  • Hi Rob,

I can do Saturday evening

Andy
  • rob_mafia
    Hi Rob,

I can do Saturday evening

Andy

Excellent anyone else??
  • Rob,

Where do you want to meet? Want to do the Hatfield Moors or soemthing a bit more exctiting (which means you'll have to show me)

Andy
  • rob_mafia
    to be honest mate I have got semi slicks on so a road route would be better, but a little rough ground would be ok, I have a nice route around to Thorne, Stainy, Barnby DUn if you're up for that, it depends if you want to stick to off road or do some on road fitness ride too

and I'm up for braving rain too
  • I guess I need to get my bike cleaned, lubed and sanctified then pretty sharpish!
  • rob_mafia
    I guess I need to get my bike cleaned, lubed and sanctified then pretty sharpish!

Yes you do!!
  • Rob wrote:
    Yes you do!!
    Erm . . . Monday?
    Takes me ages to get stuff done!
    Long range forecast says nice day too.
  • Yes? No? Anyone?