Norf London training rides

patchy
patchy Posts: 779
Ok, so the sarf londoners have the RPCC rides – are there any Norf Londoners out there who might be interested in starting a similar training ride?

Routes could, i suppose, start off around the Hampstead Heath area and head north into Hertfordshire and/or east through Epping Forest into Essex?

Let me know if you're interested and i might make a half-arsed attempt to organise something... :)
point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell

Comments

• cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    A half- arsed training ride would be right up my street. I'm in Willesden (yes I know) which is North West but can get over to north easily enough. My fitness level is not that great this year due to illness so I need to do something to get back into it, and I'm getting bored with cycling on my own.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    cedargreen wrote:
    A half- arsed training ride would be right up my street. I'm in Willesden (yes I know) which is North West but can get over to north easily enough. My fitness level is not that great this year due to illness so I need to do something to get back into it, and I'm getting bored with cycling on my own.

Why not head over to Richmond Park? It is not that far from Willesden and the ride to/from will easily get your km up. It is a good training ground to get your fitness back. Then why not give the RPCC ago? Surrey really is a nice area to cycle.
  • cedargreen
    Thanks NW London- I will give Richmond Park a go.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    cedargreen wrote:

Sounds familiar :)

I'm up for that - Saturdays preferred. Though I might give the RPCC a go sometime soon, bit of a trek though getting to Richmond.....
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • NWLondoner
    cedargreen wrote:

I'm up for that - Saturdays preferred. Though I might give the RPCC a go sometime soon, bit of a trek though getting to Richmond.....

Which part of the big smoke are you located??
  • simon johnson
    NWLondoner wrote:
    cedargreen wrote:

East Finchley - N2.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • NWLondoner
    You could just cycle down to Gospel Oak Station and catch the London Overground down to Richmond.

I currently jump on at Finchley Road and Frognal if i am doing a RPCC ride just to keep my legs a little fresher.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    luckily i'm in borehamwood and itt isnt far to Little Switzerland :twisted: and youll be back by lunchtime and once you've past little switzerland you've got undulating countryside all the way accross Hertfordshire,although saying that 40 mins in the taxi,park up in kingston/Surbiton and away you go into the Surrey Hills

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • simon johnson
    luckily i'm in borehamwood and itt isnt far to Little Switzerland :twisted: and youll be back by lunchtime and once you've past little switzerland you've got undulating countryside all the way accross Hertfordshire,although saying that 40 mins in the taxi,park up in kingston/Surbiton and away you go into the Surrey Hills

'Little Switzerland'; where's that? Sounds fun :?

ps urrrrrrrrrs, I remember you pming me a while back about rides from East Finchley, though I think you were about to go away for a while? Anyway, I've been pretty lazy since then.......time to get those legs turning!!
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Brocade
    Brocade Posts: 433
    North London would be good... I am in Notting Hill, would like to join.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    edited July 2009

'Little Switzerland'; where's that? Sounds fun :?

ps urrrrrrrrrs, I remember you pming me a while back about rides from East Finchley, though I think you were about to go away for a while? Anyway, I've been pretty lazy since then.......time to get those legs turning!!

little switzerland is an area to north east of potters bar,that stretches upto Hertford area,its not like the Surrey Hills where everything is spread out,the hills are more short sharp jobbies and theres about 7 or so in the space of 5 0r so miles with a good few 10%ers,the roads are pretty godd surfaces and relatively quiet and will allbe over in a couple of hours

yes,simon i PM'd you on the 8th june last year :wink:

so if anyone wants to have a go up there PM me to arrange something,

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • cedargreen
    I like the sound of 'Little Switzerland', anyone else fancy a ride here in the coming weeks?
  • simon johnson
    Yes and no :)
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • NWLondoner
    I will have to meet up one weekend for a ride but in the meantime i need to crack/conquer the Surrey Hills before i do.
  • Airmiles
    Airmiles Posts: 101
    What I do is hop on the train from Hackney Downs out to Chingford - avoids all the suburban sprawl and nose-to-tail traffic.

You can then do these....

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

hit "Find Route" and search for Chingford or Chigwell..there's a number of routes in there. I would avoid the Permanent Audax to my sister's house, though - you're unlikely to get fed quite so well :lol:
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    NWLondoner wrote:
    cedargreen wrote:

East Finchley - N2.

I'm in N3, often run up the A1000, which offers quite a few options, hills, fast flat etc, alternatively, out to Cambridge, north Essex.

Would be interested in joining a north ride if free
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved