Vuelta contenders?

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Yes, I know, we still have a little race in France going on, but immediately after dropping out Robert Gesink mentioned yesterday he would now be fully focusing on the Vuelta, and would claim an undisputed team leader role there. Of course it'll depend on his recovery, but it made me ask, any ideas about others going for a Vuelta win?
Valverde I assume, if the courts go his way. Will Contador be interested? Anyone already heard about others?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Basso is targetting it. As is Sanchez.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tad Valjavec and I reckon Evans will give it a go.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador didn't ride the Vuelta so I would imagine he would want to get this one in, hopefully riding for Caisse.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    Yannick Talabardon. He's a star. :lol:
  • FJS
    Basso, of course.
    It would seem a very long season for both Evans and Contador... duelling at Pais Vasco, Dauphine, Tour, and then also Vuelta...
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Contador didn't ride the Vuelta so I would imagine he would want to get this one in, hopefully riding for Caisse.

Guessing you meant Giro!

Yea, Contador would be up there if he rode it, I guess it depends on the next two and a bit weeks though, what about Menchov, he might get back into form?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Mosquera, Valverde, Gesink, Evans???, Contador???, Samuel Sánchez, Kloden???, Menchov???? (if he is retired soon of the Tour), Pereiro, Andy or Frank???, Cunego, Di Luca???(it´s no invited yet, as Soler).

Let´s wait for the Tour losers
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • FJS
    victorponf wrote:
    Menchov???? (if he is retired soon of the Tour),
    Yes, was thinking that to, and what would happen if Gesink indeed claims the leadership position... would Menchov just accept and work for Robbie, or do we have a Astana-style split in the team, perhaps along spanish-dutch lines? aiaiai. Well, too much speculation stil...
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Outside of Basso, Gesink and Valverde, who should be favourites for the podium I'll be looking to Double L Sanchez and Jani Brakjovic to do something.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Is Jani Brajkovic going to be the Slovak Tom Danielson? Much talked about as a contender in major stage races but never quite up there when it matters.