Tony Martin and the others of the new generation

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Cuddly Bob is talking him up as the next Ullrich. He's strong but it will be interesting to see how he develops in the mountains. I'm shocked to say it, but he's a rider I really like even though he's on *spit* Columbia *spit*

I'm also becoming a big fan of Roman Kreuziger. He looks ace on the bike and is very very strong. Definately will win a grand tour. And Basso echoed those thoughts today, even though Roman upset him with some of his remarks.

There's obviously Edvald BH too but who else do we think will be placing high in the future GT's? (aside from Andy Schleck)

That Saxo chap who comes from mountain biking?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Fuglsang? He looks very promising. It'll be interesting to see what he does in the Vuelta this year.

I don't know if Edvald BH is cut out for GTs, he strikes me as more of a classics rider, he has a burst of speed that will serve him well there.

I think Gesink will be a GT winner in the future, he can climb well and his timetrialling is improving. I think he was 6th overall in the Vuelta last year?

Nibali has a lot of fans in Italy but I have my doubts, he doesn't seem very adept at reading races.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, Martin's got it all going for him. He's helping Cavendish but doing the work of two riders. And yes, Kreuziger seems very strong, he rides like someone with a lot of experience.

As for the others, don't forget Gesink. Stapleton's got Lovkquist too. Seeldryers is one to watch, white jersey in Paris-Nice and the Giro I think. There are the Brits like Kennaugh but that's perhaps too early to say, Dan Martin has shown some promising moments, watch out for him in the Vuelta. Caisse have a young rider called Jeannesson and Astana DS Alain Gallopin's son Tony is meant to be good.

In general a rider can be promising from an early age but if they are really on course to become a champion they start to collect placings and wins within a year or two of turning pro.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Tony Martin escaped my gaze although his performance in the TdS made me look into his performances and they are very impressive:

2nd Tour of Poland.
    1st Tour of Germany stage 8 (TT)
    1st Tour de l'Ain stage 3 (TT)
    3rd Saschen Tour
    1st Ster Elektrotoer stage 1 (TT)
    128th Giro!

1st Paris-Nice mountains classification
    1st Crit Int. stage 3 (TT)
    1st Tour de Romandie stage 3 (TTT)
    1st Bayern Rundfahrt stage 4 (TT)
    1st Tour de Suisse stage 8 (Crans-Montana)
    2nd overall Tour de Suisse
    1st Tour de Suisse mountains classification

Pro since 2005.

By the looks of things he can TT very well and is good in the mountains - great GC potential.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What about Rigoberto Uran? He seems to have been around for a long time already, but is still only 22 (currently the youngest rider in the Tour).

Some impressive results for such a young guy:

5th, Tour de Romandie

2nd, Vuelta a Catalunya
    3rd, Giro di Lombardia

9th, Tour de Suisse, plus a stage win
    1st, stage of the Euskal Bizikleta

Currently riding for Caisse d'Epargne, which I think is a good fit for a rider with his characteristics.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    Lars 'Sonic' Boom

Valentin Iglinskiy
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Martins was right up there today.

Feillu was very impressive and he may well be top-draw material in the future. He is almost as skinny as Wiggins.
    Contador is the Greatest