Wentwood, south Wales

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Any one rid around the wentwood hills ? south Wales in between Chepstow and Newport . If so , is it any good for mountain biking ?

http://www.wentwooddownhill.co.uk/

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i watched the downhill race there about 3 months ago, was a good day. the trails aren't bad either, check out the forum on wentwooddownhill and there's a load of people there who ride.

where you from yourself?

kev :D
  • jondi
    noob from Caldi
  • welshkev
    i think there's a couple of guys in caldicot who go to wentwood regularly and also take the short drive to cwmbran,
  • jondi
    don't you mean Cwmcarn ?
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    there are a couple good DH tracks in wentwood, its also nice for XC , however stay away until its had a weeks sun because the water really doesnt drain very well at wentwood
    there are also some good DH tracks at Machen, not sure if there is any XC there tho.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • welshkev
    jondi wrote:
    don't you mean Cwmcarn ?

no, i mean cwmbran, the trails are just as good and there's no where near as many people who ride them as cwmcarn (it's just the otherside of the mountain but it has no trail centre) it also has a decent downhill track but it's nearly impossible to find unless you know where it is, which is good for us in the know :wink:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    hmm Kev, been meaning to explore over that way for a while.

but i just get sidetracked into the known routes. its such a pain.
  • jondi
    I know cwmbran, but not the area, any chance of a google map of where your talking about ??
  • welshkev
    if you register with wentwooddownhill.com in their forum there's a whole section about cwmbran, with pics, google maps and videos. much better to check out there as it already exists better than i could show you :D
  • welshkev
    hmm Kev, been meaning to explore over that way for a while.

but i just get sidetracked into the known routes. its such a pain.

give me a shout if you fancy meeting for a ride, what sort of stuff are you into riding?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    mostly ride the trail centers in wales. all of them :p

Fitness is a bit low at the moment though, not been as motivated this year from work, and had to come from really low after a lung infection over xmas/new year.
    managed Cwm last night a bit under 1hr20 last night for a quick blast, but thats left me a bit tired and last year i was nicely under 1hr10.

but yeh it would be good to meet up and do some local natural trails
  • welshkev
    Fitness is a bit low at the moment though, not been as motivated this year from work, and had to come from really low after a lung infection over xmas/new year.
    managed Cwm last night a bit under 1hr20 last night for a quick blast, but thats left me a bit tired and last year i was nicely under 1hr10.

dude, cwmcarn kills me everytime i ride it. i have to push a bit of the first climb. but the downhill's are worth it. so don't worry about fitness. it's weird cos one of the rides we do has a 4 mile fireroad climb that's pretty steep that i nail everytime, but the technical climb at cwmcarn - i fail everytime :?
    topo Posts: 3,104
    Quite a few of us around wentwood area.
    Drainage isnt really an issue on the main Dh track, despite what most people say.
    There is only 1 official Dh track up there and another very hidden/secret area but thats a locals only/mags when they occasionally drop in.
    All other tracks are built poorly by a few kids with huge holes and un supported jumps so quite dangerous.
    Were looking at another official track but are currently in talks about that.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    i just go doggin up wentwood as i'm mainly a roadie,

passed through sunday on my way to usk, there were a few kids up there tearing up the tracks on scramblers
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
    acidstrato wrote:
    i just go doggin up wentwood as i'm mainly a roadie,

passed through sunday on my way to usk, there were a few kids up there tearing up the tracks on scramblers

Ha ha!!

Theres not as many as usual (scramblers not doggers) but there still around and ready to piss you off every so often. Very hard to stop them completely, was given the opportunity to make the track 100% MX proof but that also meant it would be a members only track which we didnt want.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    how can you make a public forest members only?

i haven been doing any of the trails in years, after i switched to road i stopped it all but once i'm back in shape i'll prob vary my rides as my poor mtb is just sat in the shed with 3 year old mud still cemented to the frame

for now i'll just keep practising my climbing to the top on the weekends :twisted:
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
    We were given the option of having the track fenced off and being given the key.
    And to put it simply this would mean any rider would have to register with us before they rode the track. As you can see, not very practical hence why we didnt agree.