29er how about a 36er My new ride

DJS68
DJS68 Posts: 4
edited July 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Not sure if anybody is interested, have a look anyway.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4078539&page=3

Mine is the yellow one.

It's a mountain bike with 36" wheels. Pointless but it puts a smile on your face when you ride it.

Comments

• chorscroft
    chorscroft Posts: 254
    :lol: Crazy!

Never even knew they made 36ers!

Must be awkward getting rims and tires though? (and frames)
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    I think he built alot of it himself, I bet it shifts some
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    How wonderfully insane! - Love the double discs on the front - is that for balanced braking (as opposed to one big DH disc on a hub that wide) or looks?

Fantastic work!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tom Barton wrote:
    How wonderfully insane! - Love the double discs on the front - is that for balanced braking (as opposed to one big DH disc on a hub that wide) or looks?

Fantastic work!
    Lots of people don't seem to realise the physics of this.
    A single sided disc stops the HUB rotating. the hub the connceted to the rim by the spokes on the left AND right side of the wheel.

Thin kabout that for a minute. There will be a written examination next thursday at 10:00am :lol:
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Is it me or is that site very slow to open?
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Tom Barton wrote:

Fantastic work!
    Lots of people don't seem to realise the physics of this.
    A single sided disc stops the HUB rotating. the hub the connceted to the rim by the spokes on the left AND right side of the wheel.

Thin kabout that for a minute. There will be a written examination next thursday at 10:00am :lol:

I wonder if having the caliper mounted to the front of the right hand fork matters?
    Surely it would be weaker, as the caliper would be trying to rip itself off the fork during heavy braking, rather than being in compression if it was mounted to the rear of the fork, as it is on the left hand side of the wheel.

Probably doesn't matter, what with it having 2 brakes on the front....

Hmmm... maybe it's the beer talking :lol:
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Si78 wrote:
    I wonder if having the caliper mounted to the front of the right hand fork matters?
    Surely it would be weaker, as the caliper would be trying to rip itself off the fork during heavy braking, rather than being in compression if it was mounted to the rear of the fork, as it is on the left hand side of the wheel.

I was thinking just the same :?:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Reet then.

When you brake with a single sided disc brake in the normal position, you get a reaction force from the axle that is directed downwards. In some cases this has been known to eject the wheel and loosen the QR as it moves. Fitting a caliper to the front of the fork directs this force upwards, and stops it happening. Not a problem in bolt thru forks. The forces on the fork leg is greater on the side of the caliper

The force through the caliper mounts also bends the fork leg. A dual disc can balance the forces creating more stabilty under braking, less twist, and less heat build up.

BUT... most modern brakes and forks are good enough anyway!