Stupid question #1

McDafty
McDafty Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in The workshop
:oops:

I have a Subway Carerra 2 that I use for commuting - it has 16 gears. My question is, can I change this to 24? The bike is only a few months old, but my O/H has just gotten a bike with 24 gears and I know I'll not be able to keep up on the downhills/long flats if he jumps up to the third lot.....

Comments

• Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    Not a stupid question, just an exspensive one!

Yes you can get more gears.

You can convert to a triple chainset on the front, you will need a new bottom bracket with the correct length axle (your one will be too short), a new front shifter, possibly a new front deralieur.

CHeaper way - tell him to restrict his gear going downhill and play fair!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Not a stupid question, but one completely useless answer.

The overall number of gears isn't the issue, it's the ratios (and distribution of) that matters. You need to tell us the number of teeth on each chainring (they're the ones attached to the cranks). I'm assuming the eight speed cassettes are reasonably similar.

Chances are the biggest (fastest) chainring is also a similar size on each bike, but your other half has a smaller 'granny ring' which helps him getting up hills rather than down them. If you catch him using it, you're completely entitled to take the p!ss.
  • Brun +1