Snapped crank bolt

Franknstein
Franknstein Posts: 8
edited July 2009 in The workshop
Hey all

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. On the way to work this morning, the crank bolt securing the crank arm and chain rings to the bottom bracket snapped off, and fell out... so now half the bolt is stuck inside!

Rotten bit of bad luck, managed to cycle the rest of the way to work by going slow and constantly tapping the crank back into splines with my foot as I went along.

Anyhow... I know when I used to snap bolts fixing cars, that usually the first method to try is a drill and an easy-out. I presume its a reverse thread too? Well, I've just moved to London, and all my tools are in storage in another country, South Africa... so a little far... next thought I had was to visit a bicycle shop, but I dont want to spend a fortune on this...

Could anyone recommend someone that would help me out here at a reasonable fee, hopefully today? I work around smithfield market London.... could maybe drop it off at lunch or something, or on the way home...

any help appreciated.

cheers

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

Comments

• JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    I would guess that you would need a new bottom bracket, and hopefully the crank is'nt damaged from the bolt snapping.

While I have never paid for a bottom bracket to be replaced I would guess £20 for labour + the cost of a new BB
  • Decided I'll do this myself, doesn't look to difficult. A few things, maybe I can be corrected if wrong?

1. Will the shimano type BBT2 tool fit my BB?

2. Is the Truvativ Power Spline 113 x 68 correct for a 2 year old Specialized Hardrock (non-disc)?

Any help appreciated....

thanks
  • When I read your thread title I thought it would be Truvativ!
  • why?
  • Both my MTB and road bike came with a Truvativ crankset and I've had trouble with both. My MTB had the same problem as yours - its was a stylo singlespeed crankset - on MTBR.com lots of people reported similar problems with it. On my road bike it was the bottom bracket which gave me trouble. Maybe I've just been unlucky...