tips for a long ride?

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited July 2009 in MTB rides
I am still pretty new to the riding (now using my bike for commuting) have fitted nigh on slick tires, its now a very quick commute (varies from 25-30miles round trip)

I am planning to do a ride which for me is a long one, google puts the distance at just shy of 100miles, I am planning on doing this ride at the end of the month right after my graduation. so on the 1st of august.

I am basically going from my home to my grandparents, may have the missus drive me home after unless I feel good enough to ride home the next day.

So the question is what do you think I will need to take with me?

So far I am thinking, Pump, innertube, Water and food.

Any tips for such a long ride.
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    take some of those nergy gell things, just in case you get the shakes.
    Last time I did a long distance ride it was only about 50 miles or so, but it did include the Snowdon pass amongst some other killer climbs. I had some bananas and mars bars with me, but I was a wreck when I got home, and my leg muscles were shivering. I really wish I'd have got some energy gell to take with me.
    Oh, and take a metric fuckton of water, preferably in a camelback, half-filled with ice-cubes.

(roadies will probably be laughing at our "puny" attempts at 'long distance')
  • MilesXC
    MilesXC Posts: 40
    I'd def look into yer fuel... banana, flapjacks, water etc. It can make such a difference.
    On my rides (Road or Trail) I always make sure I carry...
    Multitool, Mobile, 2 x Innertubes, Pump, Tyre levers, Zip ties, Spare chain links, a bit of money, Map, Buff and lightweight waterproof.
    By no means an endless list.
    Have a safe ride! :D
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Take with you the knowledge that you have told someone before you set off, where you are going and how long you are expected to be away.

Clothing is important also. Check the weather forecast. If you're going up the hills, wear a base-layer as well as other clothing.

Good luck with it.

Oh, and take your time! A century off road will not be a sprint!!!
  • slimbob
    slimbob Posts: 35
    Another vote for serious fuelling. If you are going from doing at most 25miles in a day up to 100 miles in a day you will have to go steady. Take plenty of rest, leave yourself plenty of time (more than you think probably).

If you 'bonk' then that might be game over so at the slightest hint of fatigue you need to get water and energy into your system fast. If you've got the wife on hand most important things area phone, money (enough for bevvies if you have to wait in pub for wife), tubes/pump etc.

Good luck!
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    I am roughly doing 25-30miles a day at the moment, I will rest the 2 days before the ride it shouldnt be too hard to ride the whole way at a nice pace (not aiming to sprint or get caught up in commuter racing lol

Cheers for the support guys
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Skippy2309 wrote:
    I am roughly doing 25-30miles a day at the moment, I will rest the 2 days before the ride it shouldnt be too hard to ride the whole way at a nice pace (not aiming to sprint or get caught up in commuter racing lol

Cheers for the support guys

I'd be tempted to ramp up your mileage prior, but have a full week off resting.

That's what works for me.
  • punctureboy
    punctureboy Posts: 217
    its not the soreness of your legs that will be your biggest problem so long as you fuel properly. eventually you will get incredible saddle soreness and your back will start to hurt badly too. a bad back can be very debilitating. you absolutely must do some longer rides before the day.
  • It`s the back that does me after 30-40 miles...i have to put heat packs on my back, the problem is getting them to stick to my sweaty back..... thats normally sees me throught to the ninety mile mark..... then your down to the last ten mile.... then its head down and then up a gear....
  • lucieandpaul
    lucieandpaul Posts: 267
    I have a similar problem riding longer rides, especially on road funnilly enough, but probably due to being in the one position for longer, rather than trail riding when you constantly shift position.

I bought an EXO2 Stormwalker Gilet which has a heating system, which isnt only great for cold days, but awesome for back pain. Its great to wear for trail riding also without the battery pack (which is the size of a pack of fags and lightweight) as its comfy and looks the part also.

exo2StormWalkerVest.jpg

Its a cracking material lightweight Gilet for normal offroading, and its tough enough for spills and offs also, and really comfy for road cycling as well as offroad, but the heat system is great as it heats your lower back, where the pain normally is, and that in turn distributes heat through your body if need be when your cold.

I can ride on colder days with just a lightweight jersey and the EXO2 and its warm enough with enough pockets for some energy bars etc, and it looks like it was designed for the job.

Apparently its on test with some top riders at Glentress at the moment also, as they make a model which has been intergrated into Alpine Stars race gear for motorcycle racing and they have started into the mountain bike market also.

You can find out more info here:

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_ ... uctID=3130
    www.cree-cottage.co.uk
    4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.