Marmot Tours - Raid Pyrenean

Floodcp
Floodcp Posts: 190
edited September 2009 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Hi

I am not long back from completing the Raid Pyrenean with Marmot Tours.

I just wanted to say what a brilliant challenge it is and how good James and Cathy + baby Jack :-) were at organising us so we could all complete the challenge within the allotted time.

From toes in the Atlantic to swim in the Med everything was perfect. The organisation from Marmot tours was second to none. I would definetly use them again and would encourage others to also.

The hotels were excellent if a little quirky but they have charcter and the food was great. I thought I would lose some weight on the trip, not a chance with the portions for breakfast and dinner!!

Many thanks to Marmot Tours for making it a great week in the pyrenees.

When is the return trip - Cerbere to Hendaye!!

Cheers

Peter M

Comments

• mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    Good to hear. Their package looks the perfect mix of timings, accommodation and support. I tried to book a trip with them but they're sold out for 2009.

How was the ride? We're going to do it unsupported in late August.
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    Mark_d

The ride was great. The first day was harder than I expected, especially the last 20 miles. After that you sort of knew what to expect, high mountains. The last day was a great fast run to the med with only a few ups and downs once you got to the coast.
    Scenery was magnificent.
    People were also great. Drivers gave you plenty of room which makes a change from over here.

Unsupported?? Are you riding with all your gear with you? Cant imagine what the Tourmalet would be like with a fully loaded bike.

Good luck and enjoy it
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    Floodcp wrote:
    Unsupported?? Are you riding with all your gear with you? Cant imagine what the Tourmalet would be like with a fully loaded bike.

Yes, we're aiming to go ultralight -- one large saddle pack if we can get away with it. One change of clothes, flip-flops, etc. Should be good :~) Thanks for the info.
  • mark_d wrote:
    Yes, we're aiming to go ultralight -- one large saddle pack if we can get away with it. One change of clothes, flip-flops, etc. Should be good :~) Thanks for the info.

We did it, and it was better than good:

http://sites.google.com/site/markdrayto ... enean-2009

Mark