Back after too much beer and too many ciggies

fedrat
fedrat Posts: 22
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
I've decided to get myself bak into mountain biking after several years away and have gotten myself an (waits for sniggers, random abuse and general shock) old, 19 year old TBH, Trek 820 Antelope.
I know it's not what most people would now consider a 'decent' budget bike, but some people will probably remember it.
What I want to do now is look at what bits I should consider changing to make it a bit more 'up to date'?
I'm thinking of swapping out the forks for something cheap and suspended, I deffo need to change the brakes and the levers.
I've got the old 200GS groupset fitted, but everything is working ok, so I'm not worried about swapping it for something new until things break.
I'm also wanting to fit a longer, flatter stem (I used to run a 135mm, 0 degree rise Zoom many moons ago) and a narrower alloy bar and some decent pedals.
Any suggestions? Or should I put the cash in a big jar and save for something newer?
Giant ATX 830

Comments

• jadeweed
    jadeweed Posts: 74
    Brilliant! I remember that bike.
    When I was riding around on one of few dodgy buys as a kid, I used to drool over trek bikes!
    I have just got back into riding with a specialized hardrock sport. I know some people will laugh at this, but I love it!
    Enjoy yourself mate!
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    Longer stem? :shock:
    I remember those bikes. It was around the same time I had my GT Timberline with Deore DX. Narrow bars were all the range then lol. Seriously shorter stem and wider bars is the way forward :wink:
  • fedrat
    I remember the timberline and Deore Dx! My first proper bike was a British eagle domo which had terrible Chinese shocks that weighed more than the 531 frame. I think that had Deore lx as the group set, loved the bike and the shop I got it from, Cyclesport in BAtley. I wonder what happened to Duncan?
    Giant ATX 830
  • fedrat
    I remember the timberline and Deore Dx! My first proper bike was a British eagle domo which had terrible Chinese shocks that weighed more than the 531 frame. I think that had Deore lx as the group set, loved the bike and the shop I got it from, Cyclesport in BAtley. I wonder what happened to Duncan?
    Giant ATX 830
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Furk me GS, 135mm, narrow bars, you want www.retrobike.co.uk

Seriously though, ride it, enjoy it, find out what you need and then probably buy newer, don't spend any money yet just learn how to fix and adjust, www.sheldonbrown.com, www.parktool.com, http://www.zinncycles.com/book_and_dvd.php, etc.
  • fedrat
    And life gets better. Just got my hands on a GIant ATX 830! :D
    Wifey gets the Trek, which she likes, and I have something a bit newer, but just as fun.
    Giant ATX 830