UK-Vienna/Prague by overnight train

unCivilServant
unCivilServant Posts: 600
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Thinking of spending a few weeks cycling round Austria/Czech Republic\Slovakia in August (it's either that or gambling on good weather + weak £ to go to West Scotland).

My plan would be to get the Eurostar to Brussels, another train to Cologne then the City Night Line overnight train to Prague or Vienna (out one way, back the other). Another possibility is just doing Paris-Strasbourg-overnight-Vienna return.

Has anyone done any of these routes with a bike? Info please...:

What I'm a bit worried about is although there is designated bike space on the CNL, you can't seem to book it in the same online transaction as the sleeper/ticket itself--it's not clear exactly how you DO book it but if it's by ringing Deutsche Bahn there seems to be that risk that there'll be no bike spaces left on the train you're booked on. How big are the bike carriages, and is it possible to get on without a bike reservation if it's in a bag?

I realise it'll probably come down to talking to DB, but having experienced clear-as-mud service there a few years ago (ended up giving up and going by plane...) I'm reluctant to put all my trust in them.

Also wondered about the Brussels-Cologne ICE/Thalys service--most accounts seem to say it's not a problem so long as the bike is bagged, but would be good if someone can confirm their own experience.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    As it happens the page on taking bikes on www.seat61.com has a picture of the bike carriage on the sleeper that goes from Amsterdam to Prague via Cologne. Seems pretty spacious.

Germany-citynightline-bikes.jpg

On the subject of Amsterdam he also suggests the possibility of the overnight ferry/train to Amsterdam then spending the day there - though you may decide that that stretches the journey out too much..

http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm
    What I'm a bit worried about is although there is designated bike space on the CNL, you can't seem to book it in the same online transaction as the sleeper/ticket itself--it's not clear exactly how you DO book it but if it's by ringing Deutsche Bahn there seems to be that risk that there'll be no bike spaces left on the train you're booked on.

Maybe go through the online booking process but then, before you actually confirm the transaction, ring Deutsche Bahn to book the bike space?